Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

GP Super Sportster Airfoil

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2003, 05:13 PM
Railridr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GP Super Sportster Airfoil

Hello all,

Does anyone know what airfoil is used on this Model.

Thanks,
RR
Old 01-01-2004, 03:27 PM
RGM
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: GP Super Sportster Airfoil

Don't know what specific airfoil it is, but its a thickish symetrical airfoil with a soft leading edge. Yields very nice flight characteristics. I've used it on a couple of different planes with great success. For my $.02 worth, The Sportster is one of the best flying sport planes to ever come along, and the airfoil is a large part of its success.
Old 01-06-2004, 05:58 PM
Railridr

Well, my curiosity got the best of me, and I e-mailed Great Planes and asked them. Here is their reply.

"The airfoil for the Super Sportster does not have a specific number or
designation. The airfoil was one of the model airfoils at the time that
was known to work well in this particular design."

I received a Super Sportster .40 fuselage that a friend had. He had crashed it many years ago and never rebuilt it. He did not know what happened to the wing. The fuselage was not damage badly. I have repaired and recovered it, and now I just need a wing. I have a hot wire setup for cutting foam cores, but I need the airfoil so I can make some templates. Does anyone have the airfoil for the Super Sportster as an image or in a .dwg format?
Old 01-07-2004, 10:11 AM
Juice

I have the plans for the Mk.I Super Sportster 40. I believe it's the same airfoil as the Mk.II. I'll scan and post a rib tonight after work. Stay tuned...

Juice
Old 01-07-2004, 08:59 PM
Juice

The scanner is broken... sorry. Here's a picture of the airfoil, taken directly over the wing rib. I measure 10-1/8" from LE to TE. It's a constant chord wing, so all ribs are the same.

I don't kow if you should trust these pictures to make your ribs, because they may have been taken at a very slight angle, no matter how hard I tried to get them squared up. Use them at your own risk. At least you have an idea of what they look like. When the scanner is fixed I can post again.

I hope I helped.

Juice
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78594.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	88601   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bx73724.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	88602  
Old 01-08-2004, 09:12 PM
DICKEYBIRD

Looks like an NACA0015 matches pretty close! Here's a pic:

Click on the little gizmo at tyhe bottom RHS of the pic for full size.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54126.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	125.9 KB
ID:	88855  
Old 01-09-2004, 06:56 PM
Railridr

Thanks Dickeybird and Juice,
The airfoil does look almost spot on for a NACA0015. I am off to cut some cores.
Old 01-09-2004, 08:00 PM
JWN
Community Moderators
My Feedback: (42)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Railridr
I received a Super Sportster .40 fuselage that a friend had. He had crashed it many years ago and never rebuilt it. He did not know what happened to the wing. The fuselage was not damage badly. I have repaired and recovered it, and now I just need a wing. I have a hot wire setup for cutting foam cores, but I need the airfoil so I can make some templates. Does anyone have the airfoil for the Super Sportster as an image or in a .dwg format?
If you have the fuse, then you have the top half half the template. Trace the wing saddle, make a copy of it so you now have a top and bottom. The wing and stab are 0 degrees to each other so blocking up the fuse to get 0 on the stab, you can then mark the leading edge center line based off of the trailing edge. Now all you have to do is join the two tracings you have from the wing saddle at the marks and viola, you have your airfoil.

John