Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

LANDING GEAR ATTACHMENT

Old 01-01-2004, 10:50 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default LANDING GEAR ATTACHMENT

Hi there you all! I'm building a .25 sizw EXTRA 3.25 from MODEL AIRPLANE NEWS. plans. I decided to go with sheet aluminum landing gear instead of music wire. The plane is supposed to weigh 3 pounds and it only has 340 sq" of wing. so I figure it will land fast enough to make my choice of attachment hardware critical. I have 5/32" of plywood for a blind nut pad and this pad is being supported by a 1/8" ply bulkhead above it, and 2oz cloth. Should I use nylon hardware? If so what size? I would like to use 4 fasteners spaced as far apart as the gear design allows.
Old 01-02-2004, 12:19 AM
RichLockyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: LANDING GEAR ATTACHMENT

Tough call there. The nylon hardware will allow the gear to pull free, but the wheel pants will likely puncture the wings.
I don't particularly care for any kind of breakaway attachment except for the wings on slope gliders, or other birds that are normally belly-landed.
If you only fly from paved or dirt runways, you can probably get away with nylon. I wouldn't try it on grass.
Old 01-02-2004, 12:30 AM
combatpigg

Thanks RICH! That sounds like a good call to me.
Old 01-02-2004, 01:59 AM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with RL. Personal opinion is that nylon screws or bolts when tight are already pre-streatched to near the breaking point, setting the stage for the gear coming off with the slightest of bumps.

Go with metal hardware and you will like as not never tear out the gear plate if you don't bash the gear against something with high edges.
Old 01-02-2004, 02:17 AM
combatpigg

Thanks SILVERSURFER! You are right about the preload on the nylon, for some reason 1/4-20 nylon was in fashion with the local pylon boys and it was a common sight to see guys digging out broken screws. I of course never broke any of mine but I figured there was some wisdom that I shouldn't question so I went along with it. This EXTRA looks like a snaproll waiting to happen, I don't know what possessed me to build such a little brick with stilletto wings? Anyone want to buy a never flown panic attack?
Old 01-02-2004, 11:19 AM
phread59

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pigg I would use the large base sized 4/40 blind nuts and cap screws. I would probably use 3 in a "V" pattern with the open end with the 2 bolts facing foreward. I would also see if I could locate some steel fender type washers. I would use them under the heads of the cap screws to prevent chafing the aluminum and allowing the gear to come loose. I would also use a little "blue Locktite" on the screw threads. Just to be sure. I hope all works out for you.

Mark Shuman
Old 01-02-2004, 12:36 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Combat,

If the little thing has ailerons and you have a computer radio, why not set up about 10 degrees of flaps for those hot little landings. The extra lift gained with small amounts of flap deployment may be just the ticket.

Others have been known to "reflex" the ailerons about 5 degrees up to do the job. If you can get it lighter than 3 pounds, it might end up a blast to fly.