Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

*gulp* Here we go! AHHHHH! boom.....

Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

*gulp* Here we go! AHHHHH! boom.....

Old 01-05-2004, 01:05 PM
Shahid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default *gulp* Here we go! AHHHHH! boom.....

Hello.

I have made few ARTFs and have been in the hobby for a yeaer and a bit. Going to dive straight into scratch building cause I know about it. I have made plans but he bit I am baffled on is how to curve balsa into a nose shape. If you don't know what I mean has anyone seen the Ripmax coyote? The way the nose curves in to make a flush finish with the spinner is what I want. Also how well does fibreglass stick to coverings such as Solerfilm etc....

Thanks
Old 01-05-2004, 02:23 PM
Patrick Underwo
My Feedback: (1)

Default One no-brainer method...

Build with thick blocks of balsa, like 1/2 in., in the nose area behind the firewall, install your engine (tape all the holes!), put on the spinner (put masking tape on it for protection, or better yet use an old beat-up but same shape spinner), and sand like a madman until you get a smooth transition to the spinner.

Usually the fuse has ply sides all the way to the firewall, but nothing's to stop you from gluing balsa block over these and sanding them for a curve all the way around. Depending on your design.

Patrick
Old 01-05-2004, 04:01 PM
CafeenMan

Default RE: One no-brainer method...

Usually it's a combination of blocks and triangle stock that let you round a fuselage. Either that or it's planked - but that's usually not the case for sport models except old-timers.

Take a look at this:

http://www.airfieldmodels.com/inform...ruction/08.htm
Old 01-06-2004, 03:56 PM
Shahid

Default RE: *gulp* Here we go! AHHHHH! boom.....

Thanks for help! I had some other methods in my mid but this seems alot better. i am making an electric glider which is why I refered to the Coyote. I might possibly be able to upload the very terrible plans sometime so you can get a closer look. I think the fuse width is 2 inches while the spinner has a diam of 38 mm (pardon me for using two diff systems). Also does anyone know what kind of bolts are used to mount a 480? Thanks again