Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Folding wings

Old 01-06-2004, 09:09 AM
e=mc2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Folding wings

Greetings all,

Has anyone got a system designed or implemented for folding wings? I am curious about how the design considers the various air loads. Especially the wings that fold at the root (near the fuselage). You could fold the wing at a farther station and can do with less strength as the loads are less. But at the root is a different story.

I did a search on RCU forums but most discussions seemed to talk about wings folding in flight!

Thanks
e=mc2
Old 01-06-2004, 01:55 PM
Tall Paul

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Folding wings

Intentionally folded wings (I have many examples of the other kind) are usually the province of free-flightere and hard-case scale nuts.. you might ask at those types of SIGs.
Old 01-06-2004, 11:06 PM
clscale-RCU
My Feedback: (7)

I have studied the folding wings on full size aircraft like the Tigercat and the Skyraider. The skyraider is the best example I have found, it has two hinges, one at 25% of the chord (approx) and another at perhaps at the 65% location. then there is a locking pin that keeps the wing from folding during flight. The full size skyraider uses a single cylinder to fold the wing at the 25% location.

Basically you would need two hinges, one cylinder to fold the wing and another locking pin, probably best at both hinges. The pin and air cylinder to fold wing would have to be sequenced:

to fold wing:

1) unlock pin
2) air to cylinder to fold wing

To unfold

1) un-fold wing
2) lock pin into place

I have designed a system on 3-D cad and it works, but it has never been flight tested or proven. In theory it should work. Look at the line of Bimba air cylinders when you build yours, and you also have to size the air cylinder to lift the weight of the wing. The calculations to figure out how much force is required to lift wing is simple engineering math. If the cylinder is too small the wing will never lift and just sag.

www. bimba.com

Try getting hold of Bob Holman Plans, he has pictures of Earl Aunes (sp?) corsair with folding wings and may even have plans.

Good luck,
Fred Cronenwett
Old 01-06-2004, 11:37 PM
e=mc2

clscale-RCU,

I guess I don't really want remote folding. I can do that manually. So the air cylinders are over kill more me (They will be a lot cooler though! ).

Do you mind sharing your CAD design with me? I know you have explained it in your post, but having a CAD file will help more.

Thanks!
e=mc2

PS - TallPaul, I am posting this message on Scale forum as well- thanks
Old 01-07-2004, 10:57 PM
clscale-RCU
My Feedback: (7)

The CAD files are Pro-Engineer, student version. I haven't worked out all of the bugs, let me know what CAD program you have, I may be able to pull an IGES format of the 3-D shapes but you just can't modify that. My version in the Pro-E software allows you to fold the wings to see if everything clears.

Fred
Old 01-07-2004, 11:14 PM
e=mc2

I have access to some CAD and some semi CAD s/w.

I have AutoCAD 2004, 3dMax 5 and pro desktop express.

Whatever format works best for you will do.

Thanks a bunch
e=mc2