Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

Buying balsa,lite ply, and aircraft ply?

Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Buying balsa,lite ply, and aircraft ply?

Old 01-07-2004, 03:18 PM
Crash90
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying balsa,lite ply, and aircraft ply?

Hi. I hope I am in the right forum. I have just purchased plans for a 42% Bi Plane. This will be my first plane built directly from plans. (Thought I'd jump right in). Anyhow there are obviously some very large formers. I am wondering where I can buy balsa, lite ply, and aircraft ply in large pieces? Thanks.
Old 01-07-2004, 07:21 PM
pete913

Default RE: Buying balsa,lite ply, and aircraft ply?

I've bought balsa and plywood from both Lone Star balsa, and Balsa USA, and have had good service and speedy delivery from both places. Good stuff as well.
Old 01-07-2004, 07:51 PM
Crash90

Thank you. My biggest problem seems to be that the front formers, for example, would require a piece of 1/8 plywood (aircraft grade I would assume) 13x14. Now I can find it in 12" widths, but not 13".
The plans specify 1/8 plywood. They don'y specify aircraft grade. Could that possibly mean that regular 1/8" plywood is ok?
Old 01-07-2004, 08:02 PM
CafeenMan

You can get 1/8" plywood door skins from places like Home Depot. FWIW, I always laminate my own plywood because it's always warped when you buy it. So if I need a piece of 1/8", then I laminate 2 pieces of 1/16" cross grain. THen I cut as much out of the middle of it as I can. I've used slow drying epoxy and gorilla glue with good success. I put as much weight as possible on top of it until it's fully cured.

The reason I mention this is because you could probably make a larger piece, such as the 13" piece you need, using a similar technique.
Old 01-07-2004, 08:09 PM
Crash90

Thanks guys.
Old 01-07-2004, 10:21 PM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you look in the phone book under hard wood, wood working supplies you should be able to find Baltic Birch ply. It is the best grade around. It comes in a 5'X5' sheet in several thickness's. I buy it for cabinet work. I make draws out of it so I have scrap around for my planes. I get the ply around town and order the balsa.

Dru.
Old 01-07-2004, 10:42 PM
CoosBayLumber
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The situation as mentioned above, is that of the laminating glue. Common old plywood obtained from the lumber yard will delaminate when wet. The aircraft quality plywood and marine quality plywood has a glue which will not be affected by wetness. If you were flying electric, it may not be of concern, but with fuels it is.

Wm.
Old 01-07-2004, 10:54 PM
Volture
My Feedback: (1)

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/nsearch.php?s=plywood
Old 01-07-2004, 11:44 PM
billf

ORIGINAL: CafeenMan

You can get 1/8" plywood door skins from places like Home Depot. FWIW, I always laminate my own plywood because it's always warped when you buy it. So if I need a piece of 1/8", then I laminate 2 pieces of 1/16" cross grain. THen I cut as much out of the middle of it as I can. I've used slow drying epoxy and gorilla glue with good success. I put as much weight as possible on top of it until it's fully cured.
If a person has access to vacuum bagging equipment, both balsa and regular plywood can easily be fabricated as described by Cafeen Man. At 10" of vacuum a 12 x 12 piece has about 10 psi loading which is equivalent to piling 1440 pounds of weight on the lay-up. In fact more than about 5" of vacuum on white bead foam is enough to crush it.

Bill