Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Foam Delta wing plans??

I have been looking for some good plans on the net for a foam Delta wing, I picked up some 2" and 1 1/2" pink foam lastnight thats ready to get cutting.... I also have a few engines laying around that are in need of a home. I am picking a Delta due to landing gear is not a option where I fly and plus i just love the way they handle... not looking for a Diamond Dust or anything yet.. Just something to get my feet wet in foamy deltas. I have a OS 40la and a Norvell .15 rc for the powerplants. Thanks for any info! Jeff.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Foam Delta wing plans??

I have a friend thats kitting these, were running them on an os 15, I bet it would really scream on that norvel. Check his site http://www.mikes-airplanes.com/ Give him an email im sure he would sell you the plans, a partial kit, or the whole kit.

The blue and white one is mine
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ge94306.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	58.8 KB 
ID:	88950  
    http://webpages.charter.net/flyboy10/

Dave Mathewson for AMA President 2005

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You need to visit crazyherb's site. He's got some great stuff going on:
    http://www.crazyherb.com/

Also, this thread here on RCU from him:
    http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_480842/mpage_1/key_giant%252Cdelta/anchor/tm.htm#480842

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks guys! I took a look at crazyherb's site lastnight and e-mailed him... there are some neat stuff there The other ones listed look good.... I would like to take an idea and either make it smaller or bigger if needed sometime. I will e-mail your buddy. Thanks! Jeff.

Sodflyer,
    Sorry for the delay in getting back to your e-mail. I'm away from home right now...
    My little Foamie deltas are almost so easy that you don't need plans....just cut the shapes from the measurements on the page, get your CG on, and go fly.
    But, If I get time...I'll jam out some plans for ya. Just to make it even more simple.

There's a HUGE thread on my Giant Delta in here too...powered by nothing more than a GMS .47. I wouldn't even be afraid to put a .40LA on it!! It's just as light as most .40 sized planes...

It flies SO good....too...there's a small video of it on my web site...go check it out...

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_48.../tm.htm#480842

I'll let ya know when I get plans done....feel free to swing by my site until then...I'll keep updating as I can...

Post here if you have questions and I'll try to pop out here every so often.

Good Luck!!
    CrazyHerb

www.crazyherb.com
    FLY HARD!! Land soft...

VP, Gold Country Aeromodelers
    http://home.comcast.net/~goldcountryaero
    www.crazyherb.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks! I made a test plane this weekend to try my hand out ont it... I will post some pictures of it tonight. I did however try to get it airborne yesterday after getting it built. It is the pink foam 1 1/2" thick. its mesurements ate 30" from tip to tip with 16" sweep 17 or 18" long and 2 1/4 tips. I used balsa for the alerons. and with a CG calculator it said to balance it somewhere around 7.22".. I installed my Norvel .15 rc engine on it balanced it then gave her a toss..... it flew about 30' then went in...seemed like way too much wingloading to me as she never tried to climb out of it...just sank soooo I think I need to install a smaller engine for the weight issue....what size have you guys built for a .15? either it's the weight or I did not give it enough wing area....what do yall think? I did take a peak at the big delta plans and plan on building one after I nail this little dude down Thanks! Jeff.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well, It's not foam but it only has a 28" wingspan. Absolutely FAST!
    I'm starting a site at ulmer-rc.com. I was using a 15la on mine. The one
    problem I had was that the cg calculation made me very nose-heavy.
    A decent .15 should give you a better than 1 to 1 thrust to weight. (on a delta)
    Qualifier-- I know very little about foam
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ay73774.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	40.0 KB 
ID:	89912  
    Coming soon to a grass field near you...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

thanks, That's a nice looking plane you have there... I like the layout you guys did too! good site! I think what it's coming down to is mine is to heavy.... going to have to make some changes Thanks for the information! Jeff.

Balance!!
    Sodflyer,
    From your measurements I calculated a CG at 9 inches from the nose...you have way too much nose weight.
    Thats why you couldn't pull up.....
    For the smaller deltas....I've used up to 20% for the CG..however 18% seems about right.

Check the details on the CG calclulator here:
    http://www.palosrc.com/instructors/cg.htm

Move that CG back and try again....shift the battery pack if you can.

Also...what's your wieght on the wing??? Empty tank, ready to fly??

Good Luck!
    CrazyHerb
    FLY HARD!! Land soft...

VP, Gold Country Aeromodelers
    http://home.comcast.net/~goldcountryaero
    www.crazyherb.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hummmm... what am I doing wrong here? I ran the numbers again and still have 7.22 for the cg but I will try it again at 9" also I made a hot wire cutter today.... One question about the cutting of the airfoil, what way do you guys cut the foam? or make your template blocks? from one tip do you start going to the other cutting or from the top cutting doen to the LE? I made some templates that hug each tip....but it seems this cutter will have to be HUGE anyway I cut some scrap foam and boy it very easy now! and alot less mess to boot I sanded my first one so I had foam parts everywhere....... I will take my plane into work in the morning so I can weigh it up on a good calabrated scale to get the weight. Thanks guys! this is fun!! Jeff.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Sodflyer,

Did you take into account the taper of the wings? You might try
    one of the programs that will print out templates for your new cutter!
    They will also tell you where the cg is. Compufoil and Profili are the
    most popular and Profili is cheap. Having those templates means
    when you crash(and everybody does) you can make another one quick!
    Just a thought.
    Did you create a root and tip template? I believe that you will have to
    make seperate wing halves and glue'em together.
    Just guessing bout' that.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yeah that sounds about like the way I need to do it I made this one in one piece. I made the templates for the root and the tip and used a scrap piece to try it out on and it was a whole lot quicker than using a belt sander ( haha) it came out great though...just had to be on your toes About the taper, I figured that was the sweep distance? if so then yep. And crashing.... oh man I have had my share of that I've been flying RC for about 11 years now and I've put in a few great airplanes, and I've had a few that just would not crash no matter what you did to them! started out in Sailplanes, then glow powered sailplanes, then to .40 sized sport planes up to one of the first Ultrasticks with a Moki 1.40? ( that was fun ) then into helis the past 3 years ( lots of fun) but I think by far one of the funnest? airplanes was a little norvel .69 powered Delta made by FMA was a blast! until my buddy and I were trying to see just how close we could fly off of the deck....he won, and the plane was in pieces..... Jeff.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: sodflyer

I think by far one of the funnest? airplanes was a little norvel .69 powered Delta made by FMA was a blast! until my buddy and I were trying to see just how close we could fly off of the deck....he won, and the plane was in pieces.....
    hehe... I'm putting a norvel .061 on one of my little deltas right now. Start the crash counter.
    Never met a plane I couldn't crash.
    BTW. I input your measurements into Compufoil and using a fully symmetrical airfoil the cg was at 9 inches. (approx)
    That's two votes for 9". Between you and CrazyHerb, you got me looking up parts to make a bow! I've got a ryobi sitting
    around waiting on a PLANK!!

ps I'll be adding a .40 size delta to the site this weekend maybe. Still got that 40la sitting around? hehe

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I am going to try to get it going tonight I guess it's 9" from the nost then... I will let yall know how she is flying or not hehe. That cutting bow is going to make the other one a breese to make! It might be the Big delta or just a little smaller with that LA 40 engine... Jeff.