Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

Looking for a Big and Slow Airplane

Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Looking for a Big and Slow Airplane

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2002, 06:52 PM
trottle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for a Big and Slow Airplane

I'm looking for a big and slow airplane for my uncle who is having problems seeing the small trainers, he had a 84" Old Timer years ago and wants another can anyone help? THX
Old 05-22-2002, 08:46 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes, get the Sr. Telemaster from Hobby Lobby.
Old 05-23-2002, 01:12 AM
Vince
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sig Senior Kadet.

Vince
Old 05-23-2002, 02:36 AM
Mike James

Default Big and Slow

I recommend the Sr. Telemaster too.

It flies great with a .60 2-stroke, and can handle a .91 to 1.20 4-stroke too. A flying buddy of mine just switched his from a .91 4-stroke to an OS .60 4-stroke, and it still flies great... No power problems, and probably the softest landing plane you have ever seen.
Old 05-24-2002, 01:29 AM
Jafrh
My Feedback: (1)

Just finished a Sr. Telemaster - Believe me - IT"S BIG!!!

Shouldn't have any trouble seeing it.
Old 05-24-2002, 01:41 AM
BillJ
My Feedback: (19)

Kadet Senior..............Though a telemaster is a good flying plane
Kadet is easier to land...........I 've taught some 80 year old newbees to fly with a a kadet.....just based on its ability to float along........Far better than any so called "trainer" now.......A plain jane 40 does very well on this plane
Old 05-24-2002, 04:01 AM
majortom-RCU
My Feedback: (40)

Flown both, built both twice; both good planes, but I would give the edge to kadet for flying manners, easier building. Both need tailbraces imho. Sr Kadet flies great on a Saito 80--not overpowered, powered just right. Sr Telemaster I would go for 91 four stroke. Make sure you add truss sticks to Telemaster fuselage between wing & tail. I put ailerons on both Kadets, strips on one, barndoors on t'other. Like the barndoors better. Built the Telemaster with stock dihedral and zero dihedral, like straight wing better (with dual wing servos). I've seen many of these with no thrust offsets. Believe me, they fly lots better with about 3 degrees downthrust. Like them better as taildraggers. Get either one, then get the other.
Old 05-27-2002, 02:01 PM
airjeffro

How about a Dynaflite Butterfly, it's big, flies real slow, and only needs a .25 for power. An older flier in our club flies one, and you can see it very well at long distances.

Oh yeah, and it deffinately has that old timer look.
Old 05-27-2002, 02:16 PM
majortom-RCU

99" ws, .15 power acc'g to Dynaflite website--that is big, and that is slow. Maybe just the thing to get my grandson started on. (Of course I will have to play with it a bit to help him out.)
Old 05-29-2002, 08:58 PM
airjeffro

Hey Trottle did you get my e-mail ?
Old 05-30-2002, 03:44 PM
Al Stein

Or... you could go with a big 84" old timer... that type of plane's got quite a following right now.

Are you looking for a kit or a scratch building project, or something already built?
Old 05-30-2002, 05:21 PM
tbzep

Built the Telemaster with stock dihedral and zero dihedral, like straight wing better (with dual wing servos). I've seen many of these with no thrust offsets. Believe me, they fly lots better with about 3 degrees downthrust. Like them better as taildraggers. Get either one, then get the other.
I'm building a Kadet Sr. to haul a small VHS-C camcorder. I've taken out half of the dihedral, and added ailerons. I haven't changed the downthrust, but didn't add any side thrust because I'm going to use a .61 and mount it diagonally to get the muffler as low as possible.

How much undesirable effect will the lack of side thrust cause? I don't think it will be a problem.

BTW, other mods include a split elevator and full height rudder with some slight modifying of the shape of them. I shortened the fuse to incorporatethe full height rudder and still keep the stock total length. It will have a bolt on wing, and I'm probably going to sheet the entire fuse for more overall strength...you never know when I may want to take the neighbor's ratty dog for a ride and I'd hate to break the fuse with a hard landing and a heavy payload.

I've flirted with the idea of flaps just for fun, but decided I didn't want to fool with hinging them in the Frise style. I don't care for the huge gap that would be there if I just hinge at the top and cut the leading edge of the flap at an angle.

Elevator and rudder servos will be in the tail area to help balance the .61, and I will add a service hatch in case I need to make adjustments or inspections. It will be a tail dragger. There will be removable side panels to facilitate the video camera and still camera views. My son wants me to add a bomb bay door, but I imagine a removable pod would be easier to deal with and I could just build it later and attach it as needed.

Right now, the fuse and wing are framed and the wing is ready to cover. If you or anyone else has any recommendations or comments, I would welcome them.

Tim
Old 05-30-2002, 10:25 PM
majortom-RCU

Omitting the sidethrust will not be a serious problem, but will probably cause your plane to pull off to the left in a slow climb.

Diagonal engine mount with muffler at 6 o'clock is my favorite way to hang a two-stroke, sometimes a four-stroke as well.

I don't know why a 61 would need tail servos to balance, especially with sheeted (and glassed?) after fuselage. I think I'd take a trial balance with engine mounted on framed up everything, then slide the servos & battery around before settling on where to mount them. Not having a nosewheel will also keep the nose on the light side.

I like to epoxy a hardpoint vertical dowel (1/4" or 5/16") into the center rib/main spar joint (that should be cg on Sr Kadet if memory serves) and put an eyehook in the dowel, hang the whole thing from the ceiling to check out cg. Make sure you drill straight down so as not to wander out of center. I then beef up the joint with vertical strips of triangle stock just in case.

I presume the camcorder will be right at cg in cabin, but there's lots of room in that space for both camera & servos.