Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FanTrainer

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

FanTrainer

Has anyone built a FanTrainer I bought the plans out of Model Airplane News about 4yrs. ago just haven't built it yet. If anyone has built one of these please leave my some feedback! THX

Fan Trainer

My friend has one and it is AWESOME! At first he had an .049 in it but just put a Big Mig in and it screams.
    I'm sure you will like it.
    Hans
    Friends help you move.... Real friends help you move bodies!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

FanTrainer

Hey trottle!

I'm kinda interested in what you finally decided to do, and/or if your questions were answered or not.

It's been quite a while (just guessing about 5 to 8yrs or so?) since I've seen the same plans I bought and cut materials for. If I remember correctly, I had questions about part of the plans that may or may not have been drawn right.

Does this "ring a bell" for anyone?!

I wish I had more detail about where I thought there may have been a problem, but I guess the questions I'm asking may not be answered until I do a little looking back into it myself. It's been many years since I left the R/C "world", and I'm just now getting back into it slowly, but surely!

Hope to hear more later, and maybe I'll find an answer to my question as well!! I also hope I can come here more often and spend a little more of my spare time for the renewed interest in R/C!!

Thanks for this forum, RCUniverse!!!

sf4JC

Fan trainer

If they are the plans designed by Jaffry Stephenson (not sure about last name spelling), I know him, he also has plans for a .25 size fan trainer that hauls ***** with a .25 SF. I need to call him on another matter, if you have any questions, I can ask him for you.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

FanTrainer

There is also a .46 to .50 size fantrainer kit kitted and sold by Horizon Hobby in the late 80's early 90's. I had a kit last winter I got at a swap but sold it (too much on the go). Dont know how many are around?

Dont forget the 60 size plans/article that was published in Flying Models magazine last year also!

AJC
    Andrew J. Coholic

So many planes, so little time...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Still looking in my spare time!?

I haven't had the time to do a lot of looking, and what's bad is, our basement has only about 550sq feet of room to go through. So you would think that it wouldn't take too long to find. . . . . . . .well. . . . . . . . I have also still not found my AceR/C Easy Eagle (not yet totally finished) in the stuff still packed up since the move about 13 months ago to this area. GRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!! Wish I had more time at the moment.

Anyway, bash-ace, if Jaffry Stephenson is the person from that issue of the Model Airplane News magizine construction article, I would be happy to hear if it was a mistake or not. At that time, I didn't proceed in the construction because I didn't have the finances to make any mistakes. Something tells me the question I had delt with the way the wing angle and the horizontal angle of the pieces holding the fan unit flowed (if it even would have been a problem). But in the meantime, I'll keep looking every chance I get to find my set of plans and the question I had about it. I'm pretty sure I documented it on the plans, heck, at that time I even folded (BIG mistake) the plans up instead of rolling them up nicely.

And, ajcoholic, did those plans of the .60 size plane have an option for retractable gear? I've been out of the "loop" for too long. I remember getting the Tower Hobbies flyer long ago, and every now and then, seeing the other one your talking about being advertised in it. Mannn! Did I ever want to get my hands on that model! WOO!

I do remember though, that someone had made an even BIGGER size Scale Fantrainer that carried an onboard camera so a person could actually fly it from an "arcade" type booth with a buddy system hooked up so if they would get into trouble, the second person could take over the flight.

Talk to ya'll later sometime, THANKS!!

sf4JC

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

FanTrainer

I didnt go through the pile to check but the fantrainer that was in the FM last year (or within the last two for sure) did have retracts if I remember right. Was quite a large model.

AJC
    Andrew J. Coholic

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

THANKS for the Info, ajcoholic!!

I just wrote myself a note to see if I can get that back issue (if they do that) later when I have the time. I want to see how it was done.

Thanks again!

sf4JC

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

FanTrainer

Flying Models certainly does sell back issues! I took a look but I have a feeling when I sold my kit I also gave the buyer the FM issue with the fantrainer. Someone with a subscription must have it, it isnt that old an issue (I think early 2001 or therabouts..)

AJC
    Andrew J. Coholic

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Found the Plans!!!! & the problem!?!?

Finally found the plans last night around 7:30pm CST. I got online about a half hour later and started to post a reply and had to shut the computer off to tend to more immediate concerns.

Anyway, first of all, TO : bash-ace

The designer of that model in the M.A.N. magazine was Paul Willenborg, according to the plans. But I'm possibly interested in seeing the .25 size plans and also hearing if there is a big difference between these plans and Jaffry Stephenson's plans. Was the .25 size also in a magazine construction article?

And now, to the problem. After looking at the parts that I had cut out and looking at the plans, I found the problem. It is with the F5 former. The side view of the plans shows the F5 former's notches (for where the H1 horizontal keel connects to it) a little more than a 1/4" lower than what the F5 former cutout outline shows.

I'm guessing that a person would go ahead and put the "second" set of notches in according to the side view. Is this what others have done?!

Hope to come back soon for any replies!

sf4JC

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

sf4JC fan trainer

Hey buddy, would it be possible to get a copy of the plan for the .25 trainer? THX

Fantrainer

I'm heading town to Tampa this weekend, Jaffry owes me a set of plans for a favor I did for him. I think the plans that he marketed originally were for a 1/2 size fantrainer. he has enlarged those plans to the .25 size. He doesn't do email, so it's either a phone call or a visit to get info.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

FanTrainer

After reading my post, I realized it may have sounded like I had the .25 size plans.

What I meant to say was that I have the plans from the Paul Willenborg 1/2A construction design that appeared in the M.A.N. magazine back in the early 90's. And, that I wanted to know if there was any differance between that design and the one by Jaffry Stephenson.

Hey bash-ace , if you do get to see him, could you ask him if he knows if there were any substantial differances between the two planes? If you can't, don't worry about it.

But, I would like to know the overall size of that .25 plane (WingSpan, Length, & any other info would be interesting) if you do get a set of plans.

THANKS

sf4JC

sf4jc

I'll get back with you on that, I expect to get a set of plans if I see him.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

FanTrainer

bash-ace

Ok, THANKS!!

sf4JC

Fantrainer

UPDATE!

I talked with Jaffray on the phone, he said his .25 size fantrainer plans are a night and day difference in design from the 1/2A one. I will be picking up a copy of the plans on Sunday. He also said he has the plans on disc (they can be emailed), Kinkos has the ability to print it out. If anybody is interested, I'll see if he is still marketing those plans.

News from Tampa

OK, I'm down here in Tampa right now, just got back from Jaffrays "Green Hangar Aircraft" workshop, he has some impressive work over there. About the .25 size fantrainer, This is his "Sport Scale RFB 600 Fantrainer" design, he had two hanging up in the shop, they are quite impressive, one was clocked at 116 mph with an O.S. .25 SF in it. Here are the specs:

Span - 50 3/8"
    Length - 49"
    Height - 12 5/8"
    Weight - 4 to 5 lbs.

The plane is all built up, his personal planes have foam core wings (does his own cutting), He also makes the canopies in his shop, and may soon be prefabbing the fan shroud also. I'll post some pics when I get back to north Florida.

Fantrainer

Here's a pic of the finished model...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	22983_2242.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	16.6 KB 
ID:	8008  

Fantrainer

Here's the full scale one...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	22986_2242.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	16.4 KB 
ID:	8009  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Looks Great!!!

Wow! He even put "pilots" in it.

Again, it looks great! Did the .25 version have landing gear? The picture doesn't show any, but with that size model, how does it get airborne? and, How good (or hard) does it land?

THANKS Again, bash-ace, for the info.

sf4JC

Gear

No landing gear, it hand launches fairly easy, skids in on the belly for landing, it slows down pretty good for that. You could put gear on it if you want, it has the room for it if done smartly.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

That's alright!

After waking up this morning, I thought about it a while. After flying gliders, and seeing some of the larger ones land, I started to wonder about the landing speed again. Sounds like the landing speed is good, but the hand launch could get a little tricky. I can't seem to see it in my mind, but I would guess the thrust is so great that it wouldn't be too bad.

Anyway, thanks for the info, again!!

sf4JC

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

FanTrainer

Greetings.
    I am Jaffray's Partner in 'Green Hangar Aircraft'. The Plane does not have landing gear (tried fixed gear...TOO MUCH DRAG!), we will redesign to put in retracts (1/2a?) eventually. The plane lands on a (rubber) skid which runs the length of the fuse, landing straight and level is important. our planes were clocked at 117 mph at Jets Over Deland several years ago. there is video of these flights on SKS coverage of J.O.D. (not sure on which year) entitled "Deland microjets". these are Fully acrobatic, I have done lumschevaks (spelled wrong i'm sure), very stable at slow speed- if i remember correctly i was clocked in the low teens on slow pass. We used to sell the kits as ARFs (with plans included) but are in the process of reevaluating how we are going to distribute this exceptional aircraft. If you have any other questions email me and i'll try to answer them all. Ed
    I keep planting them... Why dont they grow?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Re: THANKS for the Info, ajcoholic!!

Originally posted by sf4JC
    I just wrote myself a note to see if I can get that back issue (if they do that) later when I have the time. I want to see how it was done.

Thanks again!

sf4JC

FINALLY found the issue of Flying Models with the Fantrainer plans (60 to 80 size) it was the July 2001 issue, call them at18004746995 to order.

Andrew
    Andrew J. Coholic

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

FanTrainer

Just for the record I have a 1/2A Fantrainer that I used to fly on a TD .049. I wore the engine out so that may give you an idea of how much I liked it. It's in the basement now in need of a little TLC.
    I also bought the Hobbyco? 45-50 sized a number of years ago (8) and it's still on my workbench. It's been there a number of years now but every now and then I get the urge to do a little more. I just finished constructing the four shroud segments. This really isn't your average plane. Lots of parts and sometimes tricky. I think it's going to be somewhat of a powered sailplane when it's finished. Lots of wing and fairly light. Should be interesting though.
    Peter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast