Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

1:6 Scale Fokker E.III Turnbuckles Anyone?

Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

1:6 Scale Fokker E.III Turnbuckles Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2004, 04:43 PM
VUE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1:6 Scale Fokker E.III Turnbuckles Anyone?

Hello,

Does anyone have a diagram of the actual Fokker E.III turnbuckles or are they available commercially at 1/6 scale or at no more than 1 inch long? The 1/4 scale ones are too big. I have been to Sava Cable and they may be my only choice. I need actual working turnbuckles for all the rigging to true up the lines and a little pully for the wing warping

Model has a 64 inch span and is 1:6 (GI Joe) scale. The landing gear is built, mechanically at least, just like the real deal with bungee shock absorbtion. The oval alluminum tubing has tight fitting steal wire filled with epoxy and has brass bushings at joints with acorn nuts on the axel ends. But I am at a standstill for the turnbuckles. Help, someone.

Otherwise check out the pics. It is a balsa fuselage with a light ply wingbox and cowl frame. The wings come off like the real one and are balsa/sitka spruce combination (spruce rib caps and spars). It will feature all pull/pull linkages as well as the bungee rear tail skid.

Also does anyone have a 4 stroke engine size suggestion? Will be covered with doped silk.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75682.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	91149   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy79621.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	91150   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ty64766.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	18.6 KB
ID:	91151  
Old 01-16-2004, 06:20 PM
CafeenMan

Default RE: 1:6 Scale Fokker E.III Turnbuckles Anyone?

Proctor makes turnbuckles and I think they used to make a relatively small size. Don't know if they do any more though.

http://leadingedgehobbies.com/oscomm...sort=1a&page=3
Old 01-17-2004, 01:39 AM
VUE

Thanks CafeenMan! Those are great!!! Exactly what I need. Now I have to start saving my pennies becuase I need 20 of them and at $10 a pair that is a whopping $100 bucks for turnbuckels. Ouch [:@] Oh, well. They'll look great.

It's funny. I've been to Proctor's site but never saw those for sale.

Otherwise, that's a great site!!! Hey, maybe my US Dollar will go further there? Thanks again.
Old 01-17-2004, 01:54 AM
CafeenMan

I'm sure there are other places you can buy them. Shop around. Check e-bay maybe. I went to the proctor site, but it's a really bad site. The link to their hardware is non-existent, so I did a quick internet search and that was the first place I found. I think Tower carries some proctor accessories.
Old 01-17-2004, 06:37 PM
Eindecker_pilot

The price for those Proctor turnbuckles is high, but I use them and I love them. They are sharp looking! don't forget to buy some safety wire.

You had asked about an engine for your Eindecker.. Mine is 1/5 scale, about 8.5 pounds and I use an OS91 four-stroke and it works very well with at 16-5 prop. Since yours is smaller, maybe the OS70 four-stroke would be a good fit.
Old 02-14-2004, 12:13 AM
angelspushing

that price is very high. i saw some today at the hobby store selling for pack of 2 $6.50.
Old 02-14-2004, 12:16 AM
angelspushing

im also making an eindecker 1/5 scale. its been going on for 4 years now off and on as it is scratch built and i have never used any of the materials before (fiberglass, balsa, welded brass tubing for landing gear etc.) i will have pics up soon of it. ive been spending the last month just trying out different approaches to the final finish. oh yeah, its not a flyer. just for static display.
Old 02-14-2004, 12:50 AM
FHHuber
Banned

How about making your own?

They won't be true turnbuckles.. because they won't have left-handed thread at one end. Tap tubing for the screw size needed. Tak screws and cut the heads somewhat to shape with a dremel.. then flatten a bit, then drill and finsh shaping. You can make a mold and cast JB Weld onto the tapped tubing to get the exact desired shape of the turnbuckles. (assuming its not an open sided one)

You can do variations on this theme to make abut any size turnbuckle you want. Use some Lock-Tite on the screws when you adjust the flying wires. It won't matter that the turnbuckles are right hand thread both ends.
Old 02-28-2004, 05:29 AM
watt_the!

well how about this one...

a guy told me today he goes into a local tackle shop (fishing) and gets his turnbuckles from there.. they are simply rigging for sinkers to prevents line twist and rig tangle.

about 1/10th the price of any aeromodelling equivalent and good to go!!

look great too!