Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

Good/Cheap/Simple CAD Software

Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Good/Cheap/Simple CAD Software

Old 01-17-2004, 03:59 PM
wrongwaywayne

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good/Cheap/Simple CAD Software

Looking for CAD software but don't want to spend much at all. Must be easy to use. 2D is fine 3D would be fine too.

I woudl be using it for RC airplanes.

Thanks
Old 01-17-2004, 04:08 PM
Tall Paul

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Good/Cheap/Simple CAD Software

TurboCAD is free to download.
It's relatively easy to learn.
Can be upgraded to 3D.
Old 01-17-2004, 04:47 PM
Team MPP

If you want good 3D CAD you could always try ebay. I got my Design Cad Pro 2000 for around $20 still in the package (unopened) at the beginning of last year. There are always good prices going every week.
Old 01-18-2004, 12:13 AM
DICKEYBIRD

http://www.al-ki.com/tcad/download.php#TurboCADLE TurboCAD v4.0xx free download. 2 manuals available as free .pdf download as well from the same site.

Learn to use it then upgrade if you want. The tools and commands are the same,

Good Luck!
Old 01-18-2004, 12:48 AM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

TurboaCAD 2D/3D V9.2 is $39.99 and is so afr easy to use. I was able to get the 2D and #d manuals for free from Alan over on CNC Zone. I have had a few poblems with the registration, but not with the software. For me the time it took to try and down load the free stuff was a total waste of time.

Dru.
Old 01-18-2004, 12:36 PM
CoosBayLumber
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wrong Way....

What was mentioned is a valid inquiery, but there also needs to be a few supporting bits of information added for CAD is not a easy monetary decision. Most of the responces noted already are like the Sunday supplement of the newspaper from auto dealerships which have no idea as to your overall requirements. Imagine buying a BIG, Powerfull, and cheap S.U.V. which is loaded with options and gadjets only to find it does not fit into your garage once you get home. Can't take it back. Same happens for CAD when you do not take a few measuements first.

What must be realized before you purchase anything hounded by the noted salemen, is that if it is late model, it may only work in Windows XP. That $39.95 bargain box looks good on the shelf. Then again, not all hardware will operate in XP, printers, plotters, tablets, and even some mice. Where do you go when up pops the message "Missing xx.dll" and it then does not work? Did anyone mention all the troubles IMSI is having with sudden crashing of their software in the latest version? Some users of their CAD software are reverting to older versions until the problems get worked out. There is software and hardware still being made today with works fine in Windows 98 but not in ME or XP.

You did not state your operating system, nor what you plan to plug into the computer now and in the future, nor your previous training in hand drafting, nor how much simple computing you have been exposed to. As mentioned, you need to do a bit of reading first before buying. If you need a status symbol to load onto your computer to show off to visitors, why not then. Buy the cheapest.

However, I know of a powerfull bargain on an S.U.V. which the owner wants to sell before the next rain comes. CHEAP!!

Wm.