Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

Dimensions of common parts...

Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Dimensions of common parts...

Old 01-21-2004, 01:04 AM
boss_blueangels

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dimensions of common parts...

Just curious... for an airplane with about a 5-6 foot wingspan, what would be the dimensions for the spar? I've got a couple of old plans for larger planes at home, but, they're at home, and I'm at college... Also, are wing ribs usually about 1/8" thick? And how thick are the stringers and all the other stuff for like the fuselage?

thanks for any help!
Old 01-21-2004, 02:45 AM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: Dimensions of common parts...

The spar size depends on how it's designed and what it's made from. Spruce can be a lot smaller. And if used with webbing between an upper and lower spar it can be as small as 1/8x 1/4 laying flat with the webbing joining them. But for single one piece spars of balsa you'd want at least two of 1/4 x 1/2 on edge and with the two spaced apart slightly.

Ribs on models of that size are commonly 1/16 or 3/32 depending on how much sheeting or capstrips they use.

Fuselage stringers also depend on what the design is and how the stringers are being used. You'd have to be more spicific.
Old 01-21-2004, 02:47 AM
CafeenMan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Everything BMatthews said plus it depends on the type of plane you're building.
Old 01-21-2004, 10:49 AM
CoosBayLumber
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had to take a look at a few examples of the older projects around here. I am no structural engineer, but differ from Bruce in one matter.
Use of 1/8" ribs seems to be prevalent on certain A/C with the below noted design charisteristics:

More than 9 inch chord

A/C using ailerons

Low wing designs with retractable landing gear in the wings
I had to take a look at a few of the older projects around here. I am no structural engineer, but differ from Bruce in one matter.

Use of 1/8" ribs seems to be prevalent on certain A/C with the below noted design charisteristics:

More than 9 inch chord and when rib spacing exceeds 2 1/4"

A/C using ailerons

Low wing designs with retractable landing gear in the wings

Stressfull designs, or those capable of aerobatics.

Multi-engine designs, beyond the most external engine. 3/16" ribs for the interior ones.

Wm.