Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

how to install wing tube

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2004, 12:11 AM
mr.winky2
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to install wing tube

I'm scratch bilding a BIG HOTS and would like to make it two piece wing.would like to put a wing tube in. any suggestions would be helpful. thanks. mr.winky[sm=drowning.gif]
Old 01-30-2004, 01:08 AM
FHHuber
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: how to install wing tube

You need to talk to the guys who build Pattern ships to be CERTAIN I got this right.

(assuming foam core)

Block the core in place FIRMLY

Take a metal tube the dia of the wing joiner sleeve (which gets glued in) and cut teeth in the end to make a DEEP hole saw out of it.

Make a V guide for the hole-saw tube. and clamp it firly in relation to the wing core. (you need this to be as close to perfect as is humanly possible... then some)

Slowly turn and press into the core to saw to the correct depth. Extract the tube (some of the core material may stay in the tube...)

Saw (or melt) in the slots for any braces you will be putting in the core. Slit straight down at the projected end of where you sawed the tube hole.. pull the plug of foam.

Epoxy in the braces (landing gear blocks whatever else will be under the skin)

PLUG THE END OF THE TUBE TO BE GLUED IN THE CORE! (lube the inside of the tube with vaseline just in case...)) Epoxy the tube in place and let cure. Carefully clean any excess that may have managed to get in the tube. ( and pray that plug held...)

Repeat for the other wing.

Sheet the cores.

for a rib and spar structure... you stack the ribs and saw the tube holes, then build the wing. Size of ply rib reinforcements varies with model size...