Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

Need help with 3D CAD linkage idea

Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Need help with 3D CAD linkage idea

Old 01-30-2004, 06:01 PM
mglavin
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need help with 3D CAD linkage idea

I'm interested in utilizing a floating bell-crank system for four in-line hard connected servos. I did some rough schetchs and believe its viable. I'm looking for someone willing to draw out the idea and put it to work in a 3D simulation and if need be manipulate the numbers to see if it make sense or is a waste of time...

Anybody with the skills interested???
Old 01-30-2004, 08:16 PM
DENNIS C
My Feedback: (99)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Need help with 3D CAD linkage idea

Hi Mike, have you talked to sam at "SURELINK". he might give it a shot
Old 01-30-2004, 08:28 PM
SeditiousCanary

The overwhelming likelyhood is I can do that. I'm not to hip on animation, but the 3D CAD part I have a great grip on. Send me an e-mail and we talk about it more after I have a better idea of what you are looking for.
Old 01-30-2004, 11:06 PM
mglavin

Thanks for your offer, but I guess it won't work. I dug up some wore out 2721 servos and linkages and gave it a shot. Seems no matter how configure the linkage, binding occurs when I lock-up one servo. I was hoping I could come up with something that would allow the other servos to work around a dead servo. I would have settled for reduced throw as well. [:@] I'll have to think a little harder.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig12049.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	95822  
Old 01-31-2004, 10:43 PM
Chevelle
My Feedback: (2)

I don't know what R/C problem you were trying to solve but it sure looks like you have solved the mystery of perpetual motion!
Old 02-01-2004, 12:48 AM
mstroh3961
My Feedback: (4)

Here are some pictures of a floating bellcrank system I saved from another thread...long ago! Hope you find them helpfull!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22102.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	10.0 KB
ID:	96159   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81784.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	10.0 KB
ID:	96160   Click image for larger version

Name:	Da83457.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	96161  
Old 02-01-2004, 01:20 AM
mglavin

Thanks for the input. I am familiar with the two servo floating systems in play; I was after a three or four servo inline setup as configured in the picture I provided. I may have to go with something like the two servo setup in the second set of pictures. More thinking I guess.[&:]

The reason behind the need is pretty basic. If one of the servos in a four ganged servo locks up for whatever reason, several things can happen. The stalled servo can and will consume several amps on its own, not to mention the other three working servos may try and beat the stalled servo down, consuming even more power. Or maybe the servo dies and all is well no mechanical resistance or then again if the gear train is damaged something similar to my first scenario would be in play. In any event it’s not a pretty picture. I nearly lost a new 40% Carden Edge when a servo died at full deflection and locked up, two other servos were beat up in the process, but we got the Edge down with all most no damage. Have you ever flown a 40% model with full rudder deflection to the tarmac? The Edge was in a full crab and it took several passes to get the model lined up on the runway. Actually the angle of approach was so sever due to the crabbed stall that that it took an approach from an extreme corner of the field to finally end up on the runway.
Old 02-01-2004, 07:28 AM
Chevelle
My Feedback: (2)

That's way beyond me. I get intimidated just looking at planes that big fly. Certainly makes sense that planes that big and that expensive should incorporate redundency systems.
Old 02-01-2004, 09:42 AM
mstroh3961
My Feedback: (4)

give some thought to using 2 double servo rig's like the photo I posted. In a double flying bellcrank arangment. I have no Idea if it would work or not. But that's what poped into my head looking at your pictures. Another words have two double bellcrank setups side by side, then atatched at a second flying bell crank to hook the pair together. Does this make sence?????
Old 02-01-2004, 02:27 PM
FHHuber
Banned

Feed the output of one flying bellcrank in as the input (as if a single servo) to the next flying bellcrank.

Don't try mounting the "flying" bellcranks ON the servo arms. (because then... they aren't flying, they are mixing.)