Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

cloud dancer 120

anybody built the cloud dancer 120 from RCM plans? would like to know the final weight and if it could handle a g-23 engine. i can't find any info on the 120 size in the forums. thanks for looking harold

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: cloud dancer 120

come on guys, someone has built one of this. alot of 40&60 size on forums but no 120

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Harold, The cd120 is my most favorite plane that I fly. I have all 3 sizes and 2 of the 120 size. One is powered by a 91 os 4 stroke with the pump the other is powered with a saito 120. the 91 is the best all around plane. as fred reese stated in his construction artilcle DO NOT USE GAS. he is right as I found that if you go heavy as you will with gas you will defeat the whole purpose of why the cloud dancer was designed. I am also in fl flying at several fields near sebring and avon park. My planes have been flown all over down here. I have built and helped others build 12 cd120s and also put a pair of saito 50s in the wing of one and made it a twin. It flew very well. regards Jack

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Harold, I built the 120 size cloud dancer (short wing version) from the rcm plans in 2001. I have an RCS 1.4 gas engine on it and it weighs 11 lb 3 oz. I fly at 5000 ft elev and the RCS flies it with authority. It flies great and is not at all too heavy. It will stand still in a 15 mph head wind all day long. I also have a 60 size with a magnum 91 4-stroke and they both have the same delightfull characteristics. This is a Wonderfull airplane!

Fred S
    Pueblo, CO

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

thanks for the reply. i'm almost finished covering mine. with the firewall moved back 1inch and beefing-up the fuse a little, the balance with the g-23 was right on. I had ralph @ rcignitions install ch ignition on it that saved about 16oz. of weight. i don't have a final weight yet, maybe this week. thanks harold

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

check the May issue of the AMA mag and my 3 clouddancers are shown in the focal point picture page. They are such a great plane I just can't help myself in promoting them. also a new email address clouddancer57@bellsouth keep your wings level!! have you got your cd in the air yet?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

got it in the air this weekend. take-off at half throttle,needed to add one click-up trim to elevator to have it flying level. very easy to fly and land. also very easy to see in the air. flew mosty at 2/3 throttle. roll rate a little slow. all-up weight about 12lbs with bathroom scales? flys very lite. this is going to be a great plane. harold

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Glad to see you have the new cd in the air. You are right, the roll rate is a bit slow. If I build another one, I will add a little more ailerone surface, but this is not a 3-D trickster. It is a gentle great flying aerobat.

I also beefed up the fuse. The sides are lite ply instead of the stick construction called for. I had previously reinforced my cd 60 the same way after a dead stick hard landing broke the fuse in half. It actually helped my balance a little since I am running oversize engines. As you said the cd flies very light and the extra weight was not noticeable at all.

Have fun, the Cloud Dancer will make you look better than you are.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have built one, I have a Super Tiger 2300 on mine. The engine weighs around 30oz the flying weight of the aircraft is around 12 ½ lbs. Its very light in the air its defiantly a floater. I also built the 40 and 60 sized Cloud Dancers.

SGG
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tr50859.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	49.0 KB 
ID:	154632   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ni24082.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	59.7 KB 
ID:	154633  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

My Cloud Dancers.. I have 2 of the 40 size.. One of the 40's is a modified.. I also built the 60 size..Here are the pics.. I have a 4th one almost ready for covering..

Dan
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tr51542.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	79.1 KB 
ID:	159234   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Id96801.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	57.1 KB 
ID:	159235   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sx60567.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	66.8 KB 
ID:	159236