Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

Want to cover my blue foam fuselage..what to use??

Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Want to cover my blue foam fuselage..what to use??

Old 01-31-2004, 10:42 AM
jnaarnold
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Want to cover my blue foam fuselage..what to use??

Any ideas on what to use?? Have tried 'glass and minwax, but it doesn't get hard enough. Regular resin/'glass will eat the foam...any clues? It has to be able to be finnished nice and I must be able to get at a local hardware store. (the nearest Home Depot is 50 miles away)
Old 01-31-2004, 11:02 AM
Patriot

Default RE: Want to cover my blue foam fuselage..what to use??

What type of resin are yout talking about? Poly resin, or two part epoxy?

As far as I know, laminating epoxy resin should work fine without damaging the foam. I use epoxy from a company called Aeromarine. It is thinner than regular 30 min hobby epoxy, and takes hours to set. Also when hard, it's a little more flexible so it doesn't crack under stress as easily as 30 min epoxy. I use it for everything, even firewalls. I always thought epoxy was very stable over foam wings etc.
Of course I don't use foam very much, so I am not a foam expert.

Patriot
Old 01-31-2004, 11:14 AM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Most epoxy's well be fine. I am not sure if home depot has any of the big bottles of epoxy, never looked. I too am way out from the city and the homw depot, hobby shack are right at about 50 miles one way. If you get epoxy and it is to thick just thin it with alcohol and it won't hurt the foam like laquer thinner does. You can order from Aeromarine too. I have been to the site and it looks like a good place to get stuff. I am still using a quart of epoxy I bought 3 years ago so I dont need any yet.

Dru.

P.S. I used this water based polycrylic and it seemed a little harder then the Minwax WBP.
Old 01-31-2004, 11:44 AM
Patriot

I should explain what epoxy from Aeromarine I use for what. If you go his website, I use the RED system for bonding and building, and the BLUE system for glassing, it is really thin and takes forever to cure, but is super strong.

www.jgreer.com

Patriot