Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Computing wing area Help

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2004, 11:04 PM
elmshoot
My Feedback: (6)

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Computing wing area Help

I am looking at a full scale airplane that has 242sq/ft of wing area. I want to do it in 1/6 scale is the area just 242 divided by 6? The number looks too big (40sq/ft). thats 5800 sq inches! it must be somethig else.

Also how do I compute the area of a nicely curved wing tip? Do i get out the graph paper and just start counting boxes or is there another way that is easier?
Sparky
Old 02-03-2004, 11:09 PM
Tall Paul

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Computing wing area Help

Divide the 5800 by another 6.. it's a squared feature, length times width..
area then is 968 sq.in.
Graph paper or .. how close to a semi-circle would the tip be?
The actual number needn't be within a 1/10 th of a sq.in.
Old 02-04-2004, 08:57 AM
DICKEYBIRD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sparky, sounds like you're the kind of guy that would really love CAD. Area computations are a piece of cake using CAD. Also scaling issues are no longer a problem.

Of course, there is a time investment to learn to use it but just about any Windows based CAD software now has online help features. TurboCAD Learning Edition is a free one if you want to play around with it. http://www.al-ki.com/tcad/download.php#HatchPatterns The manuals are also available there as a free .pdf download. (T/CAD L.E. has area measurement tool included!)

If you have an accurate scale, you can cut out a piece of cardboard to the desired shape of whatever you're wanting to compute the area of, weigh it and use that to come up with the area. Quick & pretty darn accurate.
Old 02-04-2004, 11:21 AM
Tall Paul

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Detailing Dickeybird's answer....... cut the material you'll be using for the weight test to a rectangle first, longer and wider than the shape you'll be using, and measure the area, and weigh it. That will give a more accurate number for the weight per area than using a smaller piece of material
Then cut to shape, and weigh that.
If you also need the center of gravity/center of area for the shape, lay the shape on a dowel, say, with the "span" along the dowel. Balance it, and mark the end lines. Then lay it on the dowel with the chord along the dowel, and find the balance point. Mark those end lines. Where the span and chord lines cross in the shape is the c.g. of the shape, or center of the area.