Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

wood?

Old 02-04-2004, 04:23 AM
supersparky
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wood?

I'm planing to build a 70" span ultimate out of foam and sheeting it with 1/16 balsa good plane or not?
Also whats the best place to get balsa and basswood cheap?
Old 02-04-2004, 06:23 AM
Jim Finn
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: wood?

I scratch build a lot and get my wood at Lone Star Balsa. Sig is also good.
Old 02-04-2004, 11:42 AM
kdheath

Sig
Superior Balsa
Balsa USA
Katmar Products/Kay Dunn/[email protected]
Lone Star Balsa

All (except Katmar-see eBay) have web sites and easy ordering. Most have a $20-25 minimum order. Lone Star has premade wing skins that are pretty nice. Saves the hassle of edge gluing all those seams. They also sometimes can offer skins that are .077" thick. The slightly thicker skins allow you to do a more thorough sanding jobe without getting too thin. I've been buying from Riley at Lone Star since the 80s, so he's my favorite. Great service.

Katmar is run by Fred Dunn's wife as a way to raise money for his care in an Alzheimer's facility. In case you don't know the name, Fred designed the Smog Hog (now kitted by Sig). It was a revolutionary RC model. I haven't bought from Kay myself, but intend to, and the reports on her service are very positive.
Kelvin
Old 02-04-2004, 04:19 PM
supersparky
My Feedback: (21)

thanks much lone star looks like its got what I need for good prices.
Old 02-05-2004, 11:41 AM
WILDCRASHWILLY

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have bought from both Lone Star and Superior. In my opinion Lonestar is the best. I bought a $150 or so last spring from Lonestar, everything was good except I felt the wood was a little heavy but nor bad. Lengths were all about a 1/4 inch long which was great, it allowed me some sanding and fitting room. In the fall a friend told me to use an RCM coupon and try Superior so I ordered a couple hundred dollars worth from them. Weight of the wood was good however I needed all 48 inch stuff, everything was 1/4 to 1/2 inch too short. As such I was forced to alter my dimensions slightly or piece parts together. Because of this I will think long and hard before I place another order with Superior. I would rather have the slight weight difference which may have only been related to a raw material batch than the shortage on the lengths.
Old 02-07-2004, 12:38 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I also order from Lone Star, unlike Wild I found my first order of wood from them A little soft and light, then I read there order forms and found I could get the wood in different grades and weights. The last order I made with them I took my time and got the wood I needed for different things, {wing ribs or sheeting } in different grades, the lighter stuff I used for fuselage sheeting and it worked out great for me, best fuselage I have done to date. Good folks to work with too, always ready to help you out.