Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

GP Tracer plans

Old 02-07-2004, 02:19 PM
multimul

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GP Tracer plans

I'm planning on building a GP Tracer from scratch, does anybody know if the plans from GP include al the formers and rib profile outlines? I want to build it with foam core wings, any tips on that?
Planning to order the plans from GP, bud if anyone has it as CAD files............

I have an OS .40 engine at no use at the moment will this be enough? Its my first real pattern plane, so it doesn't have to sky-rocket...

I'm very excited about this plane, searching desperatly for more recources, any tips? I cross searched al the known forum sites and search engines, but still looking for more!

Thnx,
Multimul
Netherlands
Old 02-07-2004, 03:04 PM
JimTrainor

Default RE: GP Tracer plans

All the info you need is on Great Planes web site. The airfoil is Eppler 168, the wing area, span, and fuse length are specified, and the online manual has a 2-view at the back from which all important dimensions can be inferred.

I have one. It flies well. I'd like to scratch build another sometime, maybe scale it up. I'd make the fuse using a balsa stick truss to keep it light, use fuse mounted fixed gear rather than the wing mounted gear, and make a nice pipe channel. I have a macs quiet pipe mounted on mine. It runs directly under the fuse with the engine mounted at approximately 45 degrees. I made a sort of "half deep pipe channel" by modifying the tank hatch on the bottom of forward fuse and the wing's belly pan. It works well.

Looks like this: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_97...tm.htm#1305542

... but with a pipe rather the Jett muffler (which was too loud for my locale).

Many have reported that the plane comes out nose heavy. Plan, accordingly.
Old 02-07-2004, 07:35 PM
phread59

Multi I just took a look in my new tracer box at the plans. The fuse formers are on the plans. However the wing ribs are not. You will have to buy ribs or a wing kit. I believe that the 2 end ribs are there. You may be able to use the outlines to make templates and cut a foam wing. lots of luck on your project.

Mark Shuman
Old 02-09-2004, 02:09 AM
Hisham

I have a Fiberglass cowl for this plane
if anyone is interested just email me.
Hisham