Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

vacuum forming

Old 02-09-2004, 03:21 PM
tatolazo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default vacuum forming

I´m about to start a new scratch project. a pillan t-35 of 80".
this two seat low wing trainer has a big canopy as the t-34 mentor. who could do the vacuum forming fro the canopy??
Do you know who and "how much"??
I guess I would send the wood or foam plug.
Thanks
Tato.
Old 02-09-2004, 03:29 PM
DesignMan

Default RE: vacuum forming

Vacuuforming is easy to do yourself. You make a wood box with a perforated top, hook it up to your shop vacuum, and heat the plastic in your oven.

There are lots of small details, but RCM has a book on how to do it. Also, there are advertisements for DIY vacuuformers and books in some of the magazines.
Old 02-10-2004, 10:20 PM
flipstart

Design Man-also interested in making a canopy, somewhat familiar with vacuum forming on an Industrial scale, is it too complicated to add a few more details on the perforated box and what type of plastic sheeting you use. I basically wondered how to seal the box so as to get a vacuum pull on the sheeting. Flipstart
Old 02-11-2004, 12:21 PM
SeditiousCanary

ORIGINAL: flipstart
I basically wondered how to seal the box so as to get a vacuum pull on the sheeting. Flipstart
1/2" MDF board, 1" drywall screws and silicone caulk. Make a box with the top being about twice as big as the largest dimention of what you are vacuum molding. The top of the box should have lots of small evenly spaced holes drilled in it to let the air out. On a side or bottom, cut a hole for a shop vac hose hole to fit in. It only has to be tight enough to hold the hose in when the vac is turned on. When you assemble the box, predrill all screw holes and get the box fully assembled, mark each peice so you know which part is which and take it all apart. Squirt a thick bead of caulk along the full length of one edge, then screw it together. Repeat for each joint. Save the top and bottom for last. I have seen people make the top removable, but this isn't required for most people and would require additional work to seal since resealing with silicone everytime you opened it would be a bit tedious. Then you make a frame to hold the plastic that is the same size as the top of the box. It should be able to withstand heat since you will be putting it in the oven to heat the plastic.
Old 02-14-2004, 11:07 AM
flipstart

Thanks for the info-sounds doable-is there a link showing further details on vacuum forming and some of the dos and don'ts and etc. Flipstart
Old 02-14-2004, 12:28 PM
ptulmer
My Feedback: (5)

K&S engineering makes the plastic you would use in 9x12 sheets available on Tower Hobbies site. And if your too lazy(like me) to make the box...http://www.warmplastic.com/
Old 02-16-2004, 02:38 AM
Boss248

Ok...I get the idea about the box with the holes in the top and you set your plug of what you want to make but I seem to be lost as to what to make the frame out of that sandwiches the plastic.
Old 02-16-2004, 03:03 AM
Boss248

I found a very good web site for making everything needed to vacuum form box and almost anything else you may need, very informative web site.
http://www.warmplastic.com/
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81387.gif
Views:	12
Size:	3.7 KB
ID:	101555  
Old 02-16-2004, 05:49 AM
FHHuber
Banned

The frame can be made of wood... or metal. wood is more often used for home vacu-form boxes. Screw and glue the corners to make sure its rigid.

some people witll put weather-strip of some sort on the edges of the upper frame... to aid in getting a good FAST pull-down.
Old 02-16-2004, 08:37 AM
Boss248

That's good info...I have always wanted to learn how to do the vacuum forming procedure but fo some reason shyed away from it...little did I know how easy and painless it is...
Old 02-16-2004, 11:14 PM
tinwakr

Default How about a how-to on plugs?

Great info about vacuum forming! Is there any info available for creating plugs, such as, materials that can be used etc.?

Thanks in advance.

Chuck
Old 02-17-2004, 12:35 AM
Boss248

Default RE: How about a how-to on plugs?

Chuck...from what I could tell wood plugs seemed to be the all around favorite for small to medium runs. I also read where plugs were made from plaster paris. I think what I will do is build a center rib the shape of the canopy outline looking at it from the side, glue it in the center of the canopy section and use styrofoam block glued in on each side of the balsa templete. Next sand the foam down to the shape needed the glass over it with 2 oz. cloth and finish resin. Get it as smooth possiblethen remove it from the fuse. Next I will build a 1/2" base for it to sit on the vacuum table. From what I have read making canopies and cowls is very easy ...I plan to build my set up this weekend...I have an old speaker box that is perfect.
Old 02-17-2004, 06:53 AM
tinwakr

Default RE: How about a how-to on plugs?

Thanks Boss248,

Could you post pics of your project, thanks.

Chuck
Old 02-17-2004, 05:49 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Guys, here's a link to a short tutorial I posted on vac forming right here on RCU: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_81..._1/key_/tm.htm

I'm by no means an expert but the response to my post was good and many people chimed in with more tips and techniques. It may be of some use to you gentleman.
Old 02-17-2004, 06:39 PM
Johng
My Feedback: (4)

If you need a heating elemant to make a dedicated plastic heater for your shop you can get a replacement element for an electric smoker - which will be a bit bigger than a foot square, for about $30. Look here:

http://www.thebrinkmanncorp.com/acb/...ID=106&CATID=6
Old 02-17-2004, 07:17 PM
rajul
My Feedback: (58)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is a highly recommended CD on the "secrets" of vacuum forming available that I can't remember the details now. Probably a search might reveal it.
Old 02-17-2004, 08:45 PM
Boss248

Thanks for all the help guys...I just can't beleive that I waited so long to do this...lazy I guess. It sure makes things a lot easier because I di a lot of scratch building...I will be making a plug and the vacuum box this weekend.
Old 04-07-2004, 12:06 AM
parabellum

I only need few large plastic sheets.

I read balsa USA has such item.

498 .030 x 24" Wide per foot $3.50

any other place to buy at least 12" x24" size clear plastic vacuum form sheet?
Old 04-07-2004, 09:01 AM
changed
Banned

I have used a friends vacuum former, and boy it really works well. One drawback of making the plugs out of wood is the grain will show up in the plastic. Plaster works really well. Just remember that any slight bump or ding on your plug will be in your finished product. We used foam to make the shape first, then made a mold from the foam plug. Last we cast the plaster plug and used this to make the canopy. It is a lot of work for just one part, but I got a lot of satisfaction knowing that I made it myself. Just my $.02 worth.
Old 04-07-2004, 01:43 PM
parabellum

you could make a foam or wood plug, then coat the outside with some type
of resin or paint and sand it smooth and may be another coat of paint.

epoxy should work just fine.

just make sure the paint isn't the type that will stick to the vacuum form plastic sheet.