Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Home grown control horn.

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2004, 05:07 PM
MJFinegan
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Home grown control horn.

I'm currently putting together a 1/4 scale Pitts S1 from a RCM plan set and find myself in need of a pair of odd shaped control horns.
The plans which were drafted in the early 70's call for celluloid. I'm sure a 21st century substitution is in order. Suggestions are more than welcome. TIA
Mike
Old 02-09-2004, 07:11 PM
kdheath

Default RE: Home grown control horn.

Carbon Fiber sheet?
Old 02-09-2004, 07:43 PM
Tattoo

LOWES sells blue electrical boxes made out of some kind of tough plastic. They make great horns and the 90 degree angle is already there. I've been making home grown horns out of gutterpipe for years on 40 sized airplanes, but for the larger planes, guys are going with the electrical box material. Amazing what you can find by walking through LOWES in the right frame of mind ..guys are also making horns for the larger planes out of 4x4 PVC fence posts.
Old 02-09-2004, 08:10 PM
MJFinegan
My Feedback: (2)

There's a thought! What shade of blue? ;-) I'll have to stop in and give them a look. I wonder if that stuff would be beefy enough for a bellcrank. Plans call for a pair of 1 1/2 inch cranks and noone seems to make one sooooo.
Old 02-10-2004, 01:50 AM
CafeenMan

You can bend them out of dural aluminum. I've done that a few times.