Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Airfoil for Warbird?

Old 02-10-2004, 10:24 AM
RCAirWorks
My Feedback: (27)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Airfoil for Warbird?

I am designing MiG 3 and was wondering if anyone could tell me what airfoil was used on this aircraft? I would be willing to settle for an airfoil used on say a Spitfire, p-47, mustang etc. If anyone knows this info, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.
Old 02-10-2004, 12:45 PM
Tall Paul

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Airfoil for Warbird?

Most Soviet airfoils came from their NACA, the TSAAGI... Information may be available on a good 'net search.
But.
For a model using a true-to-scale airfoil isn't always the best idea, particularly for the odd ones, such as the P-47, which is strange, and the P-51, which works at 350 mph..
Use a semi-symmetrical such as a Clark-Y, or NACA 2412, or Selig 3021... No odd behaviors and easy to build.
The Spit used an NACA 2209, a prewar shape which would be good on the MiG, although the extreme wing taper on the MiG is a problem with a requirement for washout at the tip.
Old 02-10-2004, 06:58 PM
Hawkeye
My Feedback: (27)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gerns,
I did a search for Mig 3 pictures, and that looks like a nice little airplane. I found a site that sells plasic kits, and they had a history of the Mig 3: http://m2reviews.cnsi.net/reviews/al...aver32mig3.htm
As for the airfoil, according to the "Incomplete Guide to Airfoil Usage" , tha airfoils are:
Mikoyan/Gurevich MiG-3 Root: Clark YH (14%) Tip: Clark YH (8%).
It's hard to go wrong with a Clark Y airfoil. give it a try.
...Steve
BTW What size were you planning on designing? I'd be interested in getting a copy of the completed plans.
Old 02-10-2004, 07:08 PM
Tall Paul

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was surprised to find more than 100 sites with MiG-3 information.. sadly none of the ones I looked at mentioned the airfoil.
The Clark-YH was somewhat popular back then, other planes using it, possibly because they could get away with smaller horizontals.
The better NACA 4 and 5 digit series took over in about that time period.