Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

kerosene and Plans?

Old 02-11-2004, 04:00 PM
Andy McC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default kerosene and Plans?

I'm not sure if this post should be in the Q&A section or here, but I assume most scratch builders will have experience with my query. I have a set of plans which were drawn in the 1970s ( I think), they only show one wing, I believe the standard way to build the second wing is to rub the plans with kerosene and turn them over. As I build inside I assume this is rather smelly so I was wondering if anyone had come up with a good alternative. Also if I do go the kerosene method will it destroy the plan or will it eventually dry out without damage.
Old 02-11-2004, 04:06 PM
tommy s
My Feedback: (55)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: kerosene and Plans?

I'm not sure what you have in Australia but I go to Kinkos which is
a business supply and copier company which can duplicate the plans
in real size or enlarge or shrink them, up to a limit of course. If the
plans are old and you want to keep them it might be nice to have a copy
anyway. Most of the Kinkos here can make copies while you wait.

tommy s
Old 02-11-2004, 04:31 PM
heli001
My Feedback: (5)

You could always use a light table and redraw them on the back, or build over glass with a light under the reversed plans.

Some large format copiers will do a mirror image......

Just a few thoughts....
Old 02-11-2004, 05:55 PM
CafeenMan

You can use plain cooking oil too. Whatever you do, do it before you build one wing because it may change the size of the plan.

Also, most copiers aren't actually 100%, so if you make a copy, use it to build both halves.
Old 02-11-2004, 06:32 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Kerosene will be VERY smelly and offers a fire risk to boot. So will any of the other solvents that you could use that would eventually dry. I've also heard of using cooking oil but that ruins the plans for later building thanks to being sticky and gooey. The cooking oil will mess up anything it touches. I did it that way once and swore to never do it again.

One option that may work is to get some canning parafin wax or Aerowax floor wax and use that. In the case of the Aerowax just rub it on liberally and spread it around. Some hairdryer hot air will help it to melt and penetrate. I would not use an actual heat gut unless you're very careful. Liquid parafin wax IS FLAMMABLE. The hair dryer will not get hot enough to be a danger though. There's still some smell with the hot waxes but not nearly as bad or as long as with a solvent or oil. The plans will need to be stored in a zip lock bag after that or the waxiness will get onto everything they touch. Still a messy option to my way of thinking but it's the only resonable way to make the paper transparent IMHO.

The best option to my mind is to tape or hold the plans over a window and trace the key points through the paper. Then a bit of work with a ruler will fill in the rest. You don't need ALL the details. Just the trailiing edge, hash marks for the rib locations and landmarks for any wing tip bits if it's not a simple rectangular wing. All the rest will fall into place based on these key elements being located according to the pencil landmarks and familiarity with having already built the other half of the wing.
Old 02-11-2004, 10:36 PM
Couch-pilot

I agree with Bill's # 3 option, if you don't want to spend the cash. For a few bucks, most decent drafting suppliers will scan/ copy your plans. The new scanners/copy machines used don't distort your plan like a photocopier would. I like having an extra copy handy, in case I do something dumb.[X(]
Old 02-11-2004, 11:57 PM
BMatthews

The problem with all the copy companies is that they will produce a COPY of the plan. That isn't the issue. The idea is to produce a MIRROR image to make the other wing off of. Unless they produce a scan file that can then be mirror imaged in some form of image software and then print the new mirror image all the copy ideas are not going to do the job.
Old 02-12-2004, 07:09 AM
Ed Smith

I suppose in this computer age carbon copy paper is no longer available, does anybody remember that stuff? If it can be purchased place a few sheets of that carbon side up under the plane and draw over the plan. On the underside will be an exact reproduction of what was drawn, right or wrong.

Ed S
Old 02-12-2004, 11:48 AM
dicknadine

hi gang. why go to all the trouble of Kerosene, other oils, copiers.?. why not do as I do. just put carbon paper on the back and go over the oringinal with pencil, etc. turn it over when complete and there you are. reverse set of plans. sure SIMPLE. dicknadine
Old 02-12-2004, 12:03 PM
BMatthews

Carbon paper would be great and it's a method I've used in the past.

But I have not been able to find it at the office stores I've searched. But then I haven't tried that hard either. It's certainly not as common as it used to be though.
Old 02-12-2004, 01:45 PM
Tall Paul

In essence all you need is the spar line, and the rib locations on it. The ribs themselves will locate the other parts..
Cooking oil is the easiest way to see thru the paper. And cover the oiled surface with used MonoKote backing to keep the oil from seeping onto the balsa.
Old 02-12-2004, 04:01 PM
Andy McC

Thanks for the suggestions. The carbon paper sounds like the way to go. Now why didn't I think of that? This internet stuff is rather useful
Old 02-13-2004, 06:41 PM
dicknadine

find someplace that uses computor multisheet print paper. the carbon paper is trash to them. most businesses use it. if not tape 8 1/2x11 shts together. i have rolls of left over from space work-- good old days. keep trying and it will work. dick
Old 02-13-2004, 07:30 PM
Johng
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: Andy McC

Thanks for the suggestions. The carbon paper sounds like the way to go. Now why didn't I think of that? This internet stuff is rather useful
OK, this "internet stuff" just came up with carbon paper as the solution?? I think my head is going to explode in the irony.
Old 02-14-2004, 10:58 AM
dicknadine

me again. its unreal that so much of the OLD TIMER methods are Not thought of by the New Timers. keep asking questions and most of the old geesers will try to help. dick
Old 02-15-2004, 09:52 PM
WILDMAN 420
My Feedback: (1)

MOst copy stores will scan the image and use a computer to make a mirror image and the print them out, no distortion because it is scanned not copied. i have done this before with an old set of plans and had no problems.
Old 03-01-2004, 06:16 PM
dicknadine

find a business, place that has big printers, usually they are multisheet. they separate the sheets and throw the rolls of carbon paper away-- its junk and FREE. have few thousand feet to use.
Old 03-02-2004, 04:41 PM
Andy McC

Just to update. I tried the carbon paper method. Quick and clean, the wing is now completed and the plans are undamaged. Thanks for the tip