Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

stick built fuselage

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2004, 01:33 PM
danny03

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stick built fuselage

Ok, I just read the post by wrongwaywayne about "Best Fuse - Stick or Lite Ply" and it appeared to me that the overwelming response was "Stick".
Now I would like to know what would be the largest fuselage (size and weight) that could be built using Stick with the angle braces and gussets?
Thanks for your opinion
Old 03-15-2004, 01:49 PM
beardking
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: stick built fuselage

Well [link=http://www.btemodels.com/sfk.html]this[/link] plane has a 132" wingspan and it's a stick built fuse (well, a good portion of it is), so I'm thinking it can get pretty big.
Old 03-16-2004, 12:36 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

There IS no limit. It was a method commonly used in full sized WW1 biplanes. And if you consider just the METHOD and not the material then you can see lots of examples of stick building in derrick crane booms and bridges that span rivers.

In fact the larger your model gets the more sense a built up "stick" fuselage makes. It puts the material out at the extremities where it can do the most good so you can use less volume of material and have the same strength as a sheet fuselage.
Old 03-16-2004, 12:49 PM
CafeenMan

ORIGINAL: BMatthews

you can use less volume of material and have the same strength as a sheet fuselage.
If done properly it will be as strong or stronger and much stiffer at a lower weight.