Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

looking to get a cad

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2004, 07:09 PM
handyman
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking to get a cad

would like to get a cad progam where to get and what iam i looking to spend, also what be a good one to start off with
Old 03-21-2004, 09:18 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: looking to get a cad

PLEASE use the search function within this forum for this topic. It's been done so often and in so many ways already. Then feel free to come back if you have any more questions. I'm not trying to sluff you off but it's just such a popular topic that all that's worth being said has already been typed.... at least once..
Old 03-22-2004, 06:39 AM
handyman
My Feedback: (2)

for all that you typed you could have just given me what i was looking for, but thanks any for your time,
Old 03-22-2004, 08:27 AM
DICKEYBIRD

H-man, TurboCAD Learning Edition will do just about anything you want (2D) and is free at http://www.al-ki.com/tcad/download.php#HatchPatterns The manuals are a free .pdf download as well.

Get the program loaded, download some free plan .dxfs and play around with scaling and modifying to your heart's desire. It'll cost you nothing but time!
Old 03-22-2004, 09:02 AM
volkan

RCCAD is good to start with.
Old 03-22-2004, 10:21 AM
CoosBayLumber
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am with Bruce on this, no matter what the follow up comments tend to be. You cannot buy a CAD system based upon cost, or one fellow's reccomendation. Most folks that do are out of it within a year afterwards. The archived forums ought to be used as a basis for your search as to names, as there have been a few upgrades to those listed since the posting. In CAD the word "System" is often used also, as you have to carefully pick and choose the components which are attached. The computer salesmen used to referr to this as a Workstation.

Biggest situation was there was zero mention as to your abilities, your computer operating system, the current on board software, graphic abilities of your computer, any previous training in design or drafting, how much floor space you have available, the plotter/printer you now have available, compatibility woth other systems, and so many more things. We seldom look into cost before purchasing. Don't forget, half of the complaints now issued by CAD users are incompatibility of their new system running on Microsoft XP and those who are not.

Most folks tend to stay with the same system through the upgrades, as CAD training in anything other than adult night school for Autocad is difficult to locate. Once you learn of the abilitites of one system and where things are located and how used, it is much simplier to upgrade than to switch. The termonology is inconsistant between systems, much as it is with connectivity and interchangability. On one software upgrade the supplier neglected to mention that the plotter I had been using was no longer supported without a $250 optional driver being inserted. The driver cost more than the CAD software. The plotter cost more than the computer and software combined.

I would suggest that you visit a few of the numerous on-line CAD discussion groups. Begin at CADALOG, CADSYST, CADINFO, DESIGN-DRAWING, AUTOSYS, and Google has groups, as does Yahoo for the individual brands like IMSI and Autodesk. Read through the problems and solutions. The groups with the most complaints means they have the largest basis of support, not necessarlily the most set of problems as CAD users tend to use the software in ways is was not intended.

Wm.
Old 03-22-2004, 01:16 PM
dr_wogz
My Feedback: (3)

Inh fact, some use basic 'graphics' programs, like Illustrator or Corel Draw to draw their plans.

It ultimately comes down to you,a dn your abilities. You can get CAD packages for as litle as no dolalrs, to a few hunnerd thousand. But chances are, you'll be looking in the 500 - 1000 dollar range.

You can get a 'lite' copy of Autocad, which would be considered the 'entry standard' to learn CAD. ALong with a drafting course, you can change jobs if you so desire!! Autocad LT is usually sold to student.

The other step is to realise that this is a tool, a glorified pencil and paper. You need to understand what it is capable of, and in turn understand what it is you want to do. Sorry to be blunt, but too many times we've seen the 'newbie' get a copy of [CAD package] and ask how to model and render advanced 3D shapes, like completed airframes. Not so.
Old 03-22-2004, 01:41 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

ORIGINAL: handyman

for all that you typed you could have just given me what i was looking for, but thanks any for your time,

OK then, just buy TurboCAD.....

I thought, mistakenly obviously, that you may want to research the pros and cons of the choices in a bit more depth. Like I said in my first post, I wasn't trying to sluff you off as you obviously think I was. This is a VERY complex topic and has been done well in the past with complete and comprehensive answers. Even the replies that you see above THIS post are repeats of the same fine information that has been typed so often already.

Have a nice day.