Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

compufoil help

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2004, 10:31 AM
geardaddy
My Feedback: (27)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default compufoil help

Am in need of plotting out a foam cutting rib for a big A-26. Have the demo compufoil program, am a new pc user too. Have a root rib shape and partial tip rib. can i scan the root rib with the flatbed scanner and import to the compufoil? Need a mid point rib to get the foam block down to a reasonable size.
Old 04-11-2004, 12:22 PM
DICKEYBIRD

Default RE: compufoil help

The only way (that I'm aware of) to get a scanned (.bmp) into C/Foil is to import the scan into a CAD program, trace over it and export it as an r12 AutoCAD .dxf.....then the .dxf goes into "Convert" for conversion to a .cor. You'll have to get "Convert" from Eric Sanders, the author of C/Foil. I don't imagine he'll give it to you 'til you become a registered user. Additionally, some have reported trouble with the .dxf to .cor conversion process.

There's probably an available airfoil that would work better in your model than the scale airfoil anyway.....like an NACA24 or 23 series. Selig S8036/8037, even a Clark Y.
Old 04-11-2004, 03:08 PM
CoosBayLumber
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Many of us forum readers are probably speaking from use of the full version, not the demo version. So as Dickybird mentioned, what you are mentioning is doubtful to work in the purchased version, it is even more doubtfull it will work in the demo. Am not familiar with what is included in demo version, and don't think they load you up with all the options in the full version, so don't think it possible to load up third party airfoils. You may not be able to load up the Selig airfoils, as this may not work in the demo version, but N.A.C.A. numbered ones ought to. Some demo versions of CAD will not permit printing, or in some cases the ability to save the work.

From where you are at, (provided it can be done) just get out some junk paper and begin running off a host of standard numbered airfoils to the chord length required. Then begin by matching up and altering until one comes close. Tape your plan onto the big living room picture window, and then with sunlight coming through, overlay the numerous printed out airfoils one by one. If you are pulling a rib off a set of plans, (provided it can be done) you need to allow or justify for any skin thickness, solid T.E. and L.E.

I also find on occasion that the only full section of a rib is shown in the sideview of the fuselage on the plans, and if you are working from this, once altered it does not match the ribs on the plan. This is why those who do model A/C CAD plans often get a nasty comment back in that the latest work doesn't match the original plans.

Wm.
Old 04-18-2004, 05:15 PM
Details 4 Scale
My Feedback: (3)

I have been using Compufoil for quite some time now. You can import the airfoil, but it's easier if you know what the airfoil is. If you choose a standardized airfoil, you can print out a generated set of ribs based on your airfoil. If you want a mid rib, you can just print out 3 ribs and Compufoil will print the 3rd rib anywhere from centerline that you wish. If you need more airfoils, you can download airfoils off the internet that are not within Compufoil already. The only requirement for Compufoil is that the airfoil files be either data files .dat or coordinate files .cor...Compufoil will plot any airfoil within those two databases. BTW, I don't believe that you can do these operations with the demo version though. If you have any questions about Compufoil, send Eric an e-mail, he is very prompt with answers and very helpful...Hope this helps. [8D]
Check out the compufoil site www.compufoil.com

Dan
Old 04-18-2004, 05:35 PM
geardaddy
My Feedback: (27)

thanks for the info fellas, have some notes back and forth with Eric and seems i need the lofting add on to the base program. Believe i can make one of the naca ribs match the outline on the fuselage. Have 6 of these whoppers to work on and like to get some progress this warm season.

Tried to add an image of the fuselage and no go.