Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

Marking Balsa By ironing plans over ?

Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Marking Balsa By ironing plans over ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2004, 01:00 PM
flanagaj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Marking Balsa By ironing plans over ?

Hi,

I am building my first plane from scratch using a set of plans purchased from traplet publications. I have photocopied the plans and have tried to use the technique of using a hot iron to transfer the detail onto the balsa sheet to markup the balsa for cutting. What I am finding is that when I do this the heat of the iron causes the balsa to cup really bad and go out of shape. Is there a way to avoid this or another tip to get the balsa wood marked up for cutting.

Thanks

Justin
Old 04-30-2004, 01:05 PM
Tall Paul

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Marking Balsa By ironing plans over ?

Lightly spray the balsa with a contact glue.. attach the print, cut to suit.
Old 04-30-2004, 01:27 PM
dicknadine

Sure IS. just put carbon paper, carbon side on balsa, between the back side of the plan and the balsa. go over plan with semi-sharp pencil. surprise complete templet on the balsa. it works and plans are safe. try it. dick
Old 04-30-2004, 01:35 PM
flanagaj

Great tip. What I have been doing so far is using the tip of a compass to put a series of points that can be joined together.
Old 04-30-2004, 01:45 PM
dicknadine

next thing is -- availibilty of carbon paper large enough?. find a business that prints out computor forms-- they have it by the rolls and throw it away after one use. don't goof up your print and also pin*****s are also hard to see in the balsa. dick
Old 04-30-2004, 04:26 PM
GeraldRosebery
My Feedback: (14)

It's just so much less work just to run up a photocopy of the plan (Office Depot or FedEx/Kinkos can photocopy up to 36" wide and as long as you want). Use 3M 77 to glue it lightly to the balsa. Wetting it down later with laquer thinner strips it off instantly or, if you use the right amount, it just peels off like tape. 3M 75 repositionable glue is even better but much harder to find. Some photo supply stores carry it.
Old 04-30-2004, 05:36 PM
dicknadine

thanks, one more Good suggestion to help the newcomers. we all have developed some very good methods to improve the hobby. dick
Old 04-30-2004, 05:45 PM
dicknadine

Just happened to realize that we might be giving good advice for our location, however some of the guys may not have the businesses or facilities available to them. lets think about this in our answers, this includes me also. dick
Old 05-01-2004, 04:59 PM
Boogie

A photocopied or laser printed plan should be put over the balsa and then lightly applied with ammonia it really works. If you use too much it doesn't work-balsa is then soaked with ink.
Old 05-01-2004, 05:44 PM
dicknadine

why go to the expense of having your plan copied?? also it may not be printed full scale. just put carbon paper between the back of the plan and the wood and tracing the print to the wood. its so easy and simple. the plan is not hurt. THINK before you charge. it pays off. dick