Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

Built-up fuselages with CF tape ?

Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Built-up fuselages with CF tape ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2004, 03:09 PM
digsy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Built-up fuselages with CF tape ?

Does anyone have experience of producing a built-up fuselage using carbon fiber tape/strips for the longerons etc instead of balsa ?

I'd like to use white foam and CF tape with resin to make the built-up fuselage and then remove the white foam using acetone.

I'm sure someone has done this before so I'm wondering what the advantages/disadvantages & pitfalls are.

Thanks,
Nathan
Old 04-22-2004, 07:05 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: Built-up fuselages with CF tape ?

It'll come out heavier than if you used a female mold. This is mostly due to the need to use more resin with this method to provide a buildup on the outer surface to "clean up" the weave and laps and provide something to sand to a smooth and fair shape. When I do this with fiberglass and epoxy for cowls I use a final coat of resin thickened with micro glass balloons for a sanding layer. Thicken it so it's brushable but builds well. You need this buildup because you don't want to sand down to the fiber and cut through the very fibers that are providing your strength. A small spot here and there is not going to ruin it but if you sand thruough the surface fibers in too many spots then you'll loose a lot of your strength.
Old 04-22-2004, 07:31 PM
digsy

Whoops - I guess by built-up fuselage I meant stick & truss ? (like not a stressed skin structure)

Nathan
Old 04-23-2004, 02:06 AM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Oh, you mean like stick and tissue but in carbon? Or a better description would be like a big Guillow's half shell but in carbon?

I suspect you'll be a pioneer if you try this. But I have to say that using round stock carbon rod or flat rectangular rod for longerons would be interesting. And if the formers were formed of foam and carbon cloth vac bagged sandwich you would have a very high tech stick and tissue buildup. Kevlar thread could be used for the diagonal cross bracing.

But I have to ask... WHY?
Old 04-23-2004, 07:12 AM
digsy

Well like the SIG Seniorita fuselage.

I was thinking it would result in a very light fuselage (I'm not so worried about strength - its for an electric thermal glider project)