Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

Stabilizer Airfoil Questions

Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Stabilizer Airfoil Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2002, 11:07 AM
Skyflyer
My Feedback: (122)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stabilizer Airfoil Questions

I'm "deviating" from a quarter-scale Fly Baby kit in that I wish it to have symmetrical tail feathers, as does the full-scale aircraft. The cross section on the stab. I have made closely resembles airfoil NACA 64-012 (according to my G.P. Flight Simulator.) I'm concerned about how this airfoil will affect the plane's flying characteristics. So here's my question:
For a slow flying plane as this, would this "fatter" airfoil make the stab more sensitive the response? Ie., would a more slender airfoil be required in order to not have a "touchy" stabilizer? The main reason for changing the feathers is to bring the plane closer to scale...but at the same time, I don't want to adversely affect its ease of flying. Thanks!
Old 06-26-2002, 11:51 AM
DICKEYBIRD

Default Stabilizer Airfoil Questions

Personally, I really like symmetrical h/stab airfoils. I like the NACA 0009, 0010 or Eppler E168. They're more complex to design & build than "slab" types but I think the smooth flying characteristics are worth the extra effort. As long as the area is the same, there will be no added "touchiness." My opinion is that "touchiness" comes from excessive elevator throw or insufficient h/stab area.

My $00.02
Milton Dickey

ps: Here's one I did recently with the E168 and it flies great!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	15615_7026.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	10023  
Old 07-08-2002, 03:46 PM
MalcolmL

Default Airfoil stabs

Agree with Milton - they fly better as he says - and landings are a lot smoother, easier, creamier. MalcolmL