Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

Looking for Ideas for 1st plane

Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Looking for Ideas for 1st plane

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2004, 01:25 PM
mark_chininia

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for Ideas for 1st plane

I would like some Ideas on a good 1st plane to build. Thought about a profiler but that really doesn't give me the type training I want. Would like to build a fairly large scale if possible, maybe even a low wing.
Old 05-10-2004, 02:20 PM
Tall Paul

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Looking for Ideas for 1st plane

"Training" for flying and training for experience in building are two different things.
For the latter, a profile is a good start, with a reasonably simple built-up wing, and sheet tail surfaces.
Any number of sites have the basic proportions.. nose length, tail length, span, chord, expected weights etc for starters.
Fatten up the fuselage on a profile and you have a good basic envelope to keep the equipment in out of the slime.
Old 05-10-2004, 02:21 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

How much experience in flying do you have? How many and what kinds of kits have you done? Do you want to design this from scratch or work from someone else's plans? Build to an existing engine or are you willing to buy?
Old 05-10-2004, 02:37 PM
mark_chininia

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've only built 1 kit; A ME-109 from House of Balsa, a realitive small plane. I've just recently bought a AVistar Select for the main purpose of learning to fly. I've never flown the ME-109, because I was told it would be a hand full. The main reason I want to scratch build a plane is just because I just like to build models. Flying it is not really not a option right now, so I guess that the motor size doesn't matter. Just like to take the time and build something nice.
Old 05-10-2004, 06:17 PM
Tall Paul

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is a good decision to hold off on the Me... it IS a handful at best. Not a newbie airplane ever!
The Avistar is a good place to start from when doing your own.
Just getting the experience of duplicating it from stock wood is worth the time and expense.
Building takes some skills which must be developed, not bought.