Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

New Jet Design

Old 07-01-2002, 02:45 AM
nIgHthAwK17

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Jet Design

I've just got a couple of pictures here of a design I've been working with for a little while, and I was just wondering what the public consensus would be as to whether there would be any interest, that's all... Hope y'all like it...

CG
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	16160_8014.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	10323  
Old 07-01-2002, 07:32 AM
Mike James

Default Your new design

Don't get me wrong here... I'm totally for seeing anyone's design work here. That's what this section is all about. But... I bet you'll get a lot more responses if you post this over on the "Jets" area.

Is this for ducted fan, turbine, electric, or ??? Anyway, good job!
Old 07-01-2002, 08:35 PM
nIgHthAwK17

Default New Jet Design

Well, I wasn't exactly sure whether or not I should put this in the Jets section, 'cuz it is scratch-built/Design type material. Anyway, with the software I'm using, I could scale the design to anything anyone would want. Right now, I've got it planned for a ducted fan/12 lb. turbine configurations. If someone was interested in an electric version, I could definitely come up with the scaling...
Old 07-01-2002, 09:05 PM
ProfLooney

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default looks good

Looks like a nice design to me. I always am envious of you #D Modeling guys though. I have tried it before but with noone around to help me makes it kind of difficult as I work better when shown than reading sometimes. I just wished I could extrude the vectors for my Lockheed hudson design to see how it looks. I know at one time there was some program that was supposed to create a 3D mesh from a set of 3 views but I dont remember what it is. I have autocad and corel draw that I am working with now but also have used 3d studio max and cinema 4d but more for aniomating with already made meshes

Joe
Old 07-02-2002, 09:02 PM
AKMac
My Feedback: (1)

Default New Jet Design

Nice looking design. I really can't give you any advice, most of the guys here could do better then I can at that.

ProfLooney - Take the time to learn 3D studio Max since you already have it. Once you've mastered it, it can be a flexable tool for design work. Then use autocad to reproduce the design and make your offical plans.

3D Studio Max is also what I use. It's not the greatest way of making a plane, but you can change almost anything about it with only a few steps. It's major fault is making plans to print out. That's what Auto Cad is for. Trust me, you won't regret it.
Old 07-02-2002, 09:07 PM
ProfLooney

Default 3d max

thanks AKMAC i use corel Draw to make my plans as much easier than autocad although i use autocad for some stuff. I have tried to use max but i guess I am too old to understand the making of meshes because as i read and try to figure it out I get all confused. what I am mainly wanting to do with it is to make all my parts on the plans into 3d object or i guess the easiest way would be to say i want to make them thick so I can have a Skeleton as though my plane was just framed up so I can go around it checking for framing problems. I just wished they had some courses at the college for that here. I dont have a problem really drawing the plans just wanting to get a 3D or maybe an isometric view of the framed plane.

Joe
Old 07-02-2002, 09:46 PM
Mike James

Default Help with your CAD problems

Hi Joe,

Based largely on questions posted here and emailed to me, I'm continuously updating the CAD tutorials on my (non-commercial) web site. (below)

Among other things discussed is a method of taking 3-views and translating them into a 3D object with cross sections. You can find it at:
http://www.nextcraft.com/cad_tutorial.html

I hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	16353_2519.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	10324  
Old 07-02-2002, 09:53 PM
ProfLooney

Default mike

Yes Mike I have checked them out very nice work on the site. you are using carerra and I have been trying to figure out how to do your method in autocad. I like the way you use the drawings like on the one you just posted and I am trying to figure out how to do it with my vectors which started out from copying the entire factory drawing. I am first trying to figure out how to stand my vectors on end then add some thickness to them. I dont want to render them with skins so much as have a skeleton of the plane in cad. I just get so confused at understanding some of the things they mention. I just got the autocad bible the other night as an ebook and have looked at it and after reading the section twice some of it begins to make sense I just need to read it another dozen or so times and maybe I will have it down enough to try their test projects.

Joe