Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Laser Cutting

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2004, 08:25 PM
teamselpats

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Laser Cutting

What sort of place could I go to, to get balsa laser cut from cad plans? Not asking for a location, but the sort of place that does it. Also how much would they probably charge?
Old 05-26-2004, 09:27 PM
CoosBayLumber
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Laser Cutting

There are several places noted in the top of the page references data, but they are for the better part located within the U.S.A. Locally here, the telephone books have listings for such firms which do laser cutting, but I am not familiar with how to look for such in your area. We did have a fellow from S.E. Asia try such better than a year ago, but he never reported back on any success.

Thing that has to be done is to first draw up and otherwise have someone convert the linework into a format acceptable to a cutting firm. Do not know if you are familiar with the routine, but my web site explains what goes on beforehand. After completed, most everything nowdays is based upon having the computer files transferred via the internet in the format acceptable to the cutting firm. I think it would not be cost effective to have a firm within the U.S.A. do your work, as shipping the finished product is VERY-VERY expensive. I work with a fellow who ships model kits all over the world, and the cost nearly doubles once it leaves the N.A. continent. Most folks responding here may tell you to go to this firm or that located within the U.S.A., but I would stay away, as the shipping costs would then kill your interest. You have a unique problem.

As for locating a firm, I would contact those who build or sell them. Contact Kern laser, Laser Machining INc, maybe UNiversal. There are several companies selling them listed on the internet. After making contact, find out if they have sold any within your country. There was recently a fellow from Australia who found out how to contact cutting firms. At present time, I know that many of the automotive gasket makers are using the laser, same with trophy makers, but these places do not advertise as such. It moreover may take some looking into an equipment dealer and find who their customers are.

To build your own is generally not cost effective. Then again, instead of trying for months to locate a laser cutting firm, try to have parts cut out via a CNC machine shop.

Wm.
Old 05-30-2004, 01:25 PM
Stratotanker
My Feedback: (3)

If you can E-mail me a DXF file with all of your parts drawn and laid out and what kind of materials, I can give you an idea of what it would take for me to cut it for you.

Chris
Old 05-31-2004, 11:24 AM
Goggles
My Feedback: (4)

Do you cut 1/4"ply also Strato?
Old 06-01-2004, 03:11 PM
Stratotanker
My Feedback: (3)

Goggles,

What do you need cut out? I can cut 1/4" but some densities are really tough. Whenever I need 1/4" stuff, I just cut two 1/8" and laminate them. All of my stuff is tabbed or interlocking in one way or another so laminating has never been an issue and it actually eats up less laser time if you can believe it. E-mail me with a description of what you want and we will talk about it.

Chris