Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

TurboCAD LE How To - Parallel Line

Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

TurboCAD LE How To - Parallel Line

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2004, 01:10 PM
Jeff S.
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TurboCAD LE How To - Parallel Line

I have downloaded TurboCAD 4 LE and am attempting to use it to design my first model. I decided to start with something simple and am attempting to design a 'Stick' type of airplane that will probably end up looking similar to the old Scat Cat.

The sides of the fuselage are going to be made out of 1/8" Lite-Ply and they are curved from the Firewall wider to the center and then narrower back to the rear of the fuselage. I think I have figured out how to draw the basic top view of the fuselage but have run into a wall when trying to find a way to draw a line parallel to the fuselage side to represent the thickness of the plywood.

I am looking for suggestions on how to accomplish this task.

Additionally, do any of the newer TurboCAD products support a line style that works better?

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 07-12-2004, 03:24 PM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: TurboCAD LE How To - Parallel Line

Im not sure if your version has it but look to the menu bar on the left. There should be a couple of ways to do it. Left click on the line button and hold and you will see multiple line cmds, might see a double line in there. Enter the offset (thickness) lower left corner. There is also a double line button that should do about the same thing. If you dont have any of that, you can draw a perpendicular line the thickness you want on the ends of your reference line. Then snap to those verticies and draw the line. Delete the thickness lines afterward and use the trim line command to extend/shorten to your needs. Or under the edit pull down under copy entities do an offset. Just enter length in the lower left corner of the window. That really is the same as offset or the width that you're looking for.
Edwin
Old 07-12-2004, 03:27 PM
Jeff S.
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Edwin! I'll try those ideas tonight.

Jeff
Old 07-12-2004, 03:28 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

There is a parallel line tool but it only works for straight lines and may not be available with the LE version.

There's two ways to do this. One is to make a copy of the line and paste it down the proper thickness inwards. A landmark made from a small rectangle placed temporarily will let you snap the line down the correct thickness away. Depending on the shape some minor stretching or shrinking may be required. The second is to use the double polyline tool and right click to the Properties and set the node point to either right or left. Then V snap to the end point and N snap close spaced nodes to the line all the way along using closer spacing where curved tightly and wide spacing where flat or shallow curved. This creates short straight segments but the errors are hidden in the line widths during printing. Some playing will soon show you how close to space the node points.