Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

Some of my crazy designs *warning lots of big pics*

Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Some of my crazy designs *warning lots of big pics*

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2002, 01:28 AM
AKMac
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some of my crazy designs *warning lots of big pics*

Hi all. I just thought I would post some of my other designs. Unlike the P-38 2002 I really don't have any intention on building these, but I thought it might give some other designers and scratch builders some ideas for your project.

If you have any questions or want 3-views of any plane just let me know and I can get it to you. All I ask is that you don't use them to make millions of dollars

--------------------------
This one kind of reminds me of the pond racer. In fact it has such a sleek design it probably could be used as a racer if the airfoil was a bit thinner. I kind of like this conjoining booms.

I really don't know what I was thinking when I did this one. The idea was to reduce weight but then I remembered that we already have profile planes so that idea went down the tube. I really don't think this thing would ever fly, although it is original.

---------------------------
Well this was a attempt at a radical seaplane design. I really don't know anything about seaplanes so there is probably a lot of things wrong with it. Don't worry about those blocks where the engine boom sit on. Those would have to be smoothed, but I was to lazy to do it. Ohh, and those rudders probably wouldn't work either. Anyways if this thing flew I would be real surprised.

Old 07-17-2002, 01:29 AM
AKMac

Now I have seen a configuration like this one before, and thats probably for a good reason (hence it probably doesn't work very well.) I sketched this design on my trusty notepad while watching Star Trek. Go figure. Anyways with proper balancing I think this thing would work. One problem with it is that the landing gear would have to be perfect to prevent a prop strike on the rear engines when taking off. Other then that I think it would be a neat plane.

Since I like twin engines this was a attempt at making a plane that doesn't have the bad flying characteristics of a conventional twin (Sort of like Rutan did with the boomerang, and cessna with the O-2) It's extremely ugly, and will probably fly ugly as well. Oh well, it kept me busy for a while.

Old 07-17-2002, 01:30 AM
AKMac

Now this one I like. It basically one of those ugly sticks with some not so ugly landing gear. Personally, I think this plane would fly great with the thick fuselage (kind of like a extra 300), and would be a total breeze to build. BTW there are a lot of optional things on this plane. For instance. The landing gear could be changed to conventional style, the canopy is only there for looks, and the cowling is only there to streamline the design. You could change any one of those items if you wanted. Heh, it's a lego plane. Mix and match anything you want Overall if I did build one it would probably be this one.

Well I hope you enjoyed the slide show. I'm in no way a expert at this, so please don't treat me so. I just enjoy coming up with some wacky designs and seeing how and if they would fly.

Old 07-17-2002, 01:36 AM
AKMac

What these things looked like before they made the jump to 3D

http://www.lameducky.net/akmac/designs/onpaper.jpg

http://www.lameducky.net/akmac/designs/onpaper2.jpg

http://www.lameducky.net/akmac/designs/onpaper3.jpg
Old 07-17-2002, 04:02 AM
Mike James

Default Who knows?

Good work!

Doodling, and keeping notes are two things that will give you a nice reference library to work from. Who knows, maybe you'll invent something that will fire you up enough to actually build and test it.

It's nice to see someone experimenting with something different. Keep us informed if you build and fly one of these!
Old 07-17-2002, 08:25 AM
ProfLooney

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default drawings

Looks good AK mack some interesting designs. you wouldnt wanna volunteer to 3D one of my projects would you lol I gave up and abt beat up my puter trying to 3d it.

Joe
Old 07-17-2002, 04:49 PM
AKMac

Mike - your one of the few that always has something encouraging to say. I really appreciate it.

AQ500 - Heh it's a small world. I also learn how to fly at grantsville with the help of the late Vic Bennet. If you ever seen a purple Senorita with yellow lightning bolts on top, that was me

Do you fly at the field near the point of the mountain (it has water on the east side of the road, and a chemical plant south of it.), or the one with the wierd gate protecting the area? Heh, that probably doesn't make sense to anyone else but I think you'll understand.

Anyways you may know my grandpa too. His name is Richard Benson, he drives a metallic blue dodge truck with a shell on it, and he crashes a lot (don't tell him that.) He goes out ever Tuesday and Thursday morning. I'll be at the Elko fun fly this Fri-Sunday if you make it out. I've never been, but I've been told its a total blast. Hope to see you there. Ohh and e-mail me when you plan on flying that twin. Hopefully I can make it out.

ProfLooney - It really depends on what your looking for. Send me a e-mail and I'll see what I can come up with.
Old 07-17-2002, 07:46 PM
Cactus.

your mind is just brimming, i dont care about the troubles that first pond racer type line's would cause, i love it.
so happy my P-38 2002 name has stuck, you should see the stupid big grin i have here
Old 07-17-2002, 09:35 PM
AKMac

AQ500 - I'm sorry but I really don't know to much about this funfly. I know there is going to be a few games like hit the plane with a paint ball gun, and they let go a bunch of balloons and whoever pops the most gets a prize, and they're giving away a few planes. I do know that the Elko RC club is sponsoring it, and everyone is invited. If you want I'll get some directions to their model airport for you.

phillybaby - what flying problems do you see with that conjoining boom pond racer thing at top? I'm not mad or anything, I just want to know so I can improve my designs in the future.
Old 07-18-2002, 04:09 PM
Cactus.

if you build a fuz like a banana it'll fly like one, ok, now two fuz's might cancel it out, but its gonna cause some yaw instability somewhere.
you got such an imagination tho, and some great skill, i see a future in this for you
Old 07-18-2002, 08:54 PM
AKMac

Hmm, I see the problem. I wonder if making it a T-tail would help the pitch stability problem since that would get it out of those nasty vortices.

As far a yaw stability, I think that rudder is tall enough that most of it would be out of the vortices, and be sailing in smooth air. Maybe not but that rudder is huge (I thought it would help in a engine out situation)

Speaking of a engine out situation, that is also another problem because now you have a lot of air flowing over one nacelle and a little flowing over the other creating a little imbalance. It might be so bad that you couldn't even recover from a engine out. Ahh the joy's of unconventional designs

Also your right about the nacelle problem. It would probably have very poor stall characteristics. The thing I want to know is how a P-38 get's through that problem of the vortices coming off the nacelles at a high angle of attack?
Old 07-22-2002, 04:28 AM
AirplaneDan98

AkMac, you keep adding planes to my wish list! So far I have an incredible urge to build all of your designs, I'm going to start drawing up plans for the P-38 2002 in a speed 400 version if it's ok with you. Keep them coming, I can't get enough!! Thanks for sharing your designs to. Dan
Old 07-23-2002, 12:13 AM
AKMac

AirplaneDan98 - thanks. go right on ahead with that speed 400 version. Have fun with it.
Old 07-26-2002, 04:50 PM
mulligan

Slick designs... and even better 3D CAD work! Keep it up!

Just one comment (I don't like limiting other's imagination)- The main gear on the wingtips would not work very well. The structure required for the strength needed would be weight prohibitive (if not outright impossible).

I especially like the four-engine pattern ship- man, if you prop that right, you could get a LOT of speed out of it. Forget OEI!!!

- George
Old 07-26-2002, 04:58 PM
AKMac

Yeah it would be pretty hard to stress it right. The main problem I thought about is hard landings would probably snap the wing in half. There has to be a way of doing it though because Rutan did it with his quickie.

Picture here: http://www.wannafly.com/images/quick7.jpg
Old 07-26-2002, 06:29 PM
mulligan

With two wings, wingspan is much shorter, ergo stress is lower. I wouldn't be surprised, though, if the model pictured in your link had issues. The full-scale would probably be made of composites.

- George