Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

About vacuum forming. Avanti Canopy

Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

About vacuum forming. Avanti Canopy

Old 07-26-2002, 04:02 AM
AKMac
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default About vacuum forming. Avanti Canopy

Hi all. I debated if I should put this in the kit forum, but since this is for a scratch built plane I decided this would be appropriate here.

I scratch built a Avanti from some RCM plans that is in need of a canopy. On the plans it say's I need a I.M. World Engines canopy but I've yet to find a company called World Engines (from what I was told they are out of buisiness.) I really can't find a random canopy that fit's the design really well so I figured I might give vacuum forming a try. I was just wondering if someone can point me to a site that has a beginners guide to vacuum forming, and if there is a cheap way to do it (as in $100 or less). Thanks.

Ohh and here is a pic of my lovely Avanti: (not bad for a 17year old ehh?)

Old 07-26-2002, 08:25 AM
Ollie

See:
http://www.warmplastic.com/

There have been plans in model magazines for building your own small vacuum table. I wish I could remember the issues.

You can shape a plug from a balsa block to form the canopy over. Sand the balsa as smooth as possible. Do not finish the balsa. Leave the wood bare and the plastic sheet won't stick to it.

There is a vacuum forming service available from M&M Glider Tech. See:
http://www.mmglidertech.com/vacuum.html
Old 07-26-2002, 04:51 PM
AKMac
My Feedback: (1)

Ahh, thank you Ollie. I appreciate it.

I think I'll try making my own vacuum table. $100 for a box with holes in it is a little pricey for me, expessially if your the "do it yourself" kind of guy. If anyone has some plans that would be great, if not I think I can pound it out myself
Old 07-26-2002, 05:31 PM
Ollie

Default Vacuum Forming

You could save yourself a lot of trial and error experimenting by using the AMA headquarters library service to dig up the articles for you at a nominal fee. There is a lot of technique to be learned. How to fasten the plastic sheet to its frame. How to achieve a vacuum seal when you stretch the hot plastic over the form. How big the frame has to be for a given length and depth of the form. How to tell when the plastic is hot enough to take out of the oven. There is more I'm sure.
Old 08-26-2002, 11:20 PM
pjwright

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the plans for the vacu-form machine from RCM. I've picked up most of the parts -- with the vacuum pump being the single biggest cost. Not for the meek...
My 2 cents if this is just a one-off part, is to do something like I saw Dave Platt do in one of his videos: mount the acrylic onto a pair of long wood sticks with a staple gun; heat in the oven until the plastic sags; then quickly stretch over the carved canopy shape uses the sticks (and some oven mitts!).
I've also read that to get a good smooth part - do this twice, leaving the first plastic shape on the form, and stretching the second one over it. The one against the carved form will pick up wood grain impressions in the plastic, while the second will be totally smooth.
[btw, I think World Engines was run by Jim Maloney in the late 60's or early 70's - importing a lot of Japanese kits and parts, including the I.M. line - like their DuBro or Sullivan. They had, as I recall, some generic canopies in different sizes and shapes. People actually built planes back then!]
;-)