Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Funny Laser story...

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2004, 12:50 AM
idealer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Funny Laser story...

I spent the past month designing a 1/2A funtana and learning solidworks... and have been seriously contemplating purchasing a laser cutter,(Money burning a whole in my pocket)

Funny part... As I was locking my office tonight I noticed the suite next to my office reads "AP LASER" Trophies/cutting etc...

I think I can walk next door and get many kits made for the money I was about to spend on a laser....

(Been neighbors for years)
Old 08-19-2004, 01:31 AM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: Funny Laser story...

Don't you just hate it when fate won't let you spend that money burning the hole in your pocket?

But for an equally good investment please send the laser cutter money to me at........
Old 08-19-2004, 09:41 AM
CoosBayLumber
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't get excited. Many of the trophy lasers only are in the 12-25 watt power range and will only fit small sized flat sheets. The low wattage will mean that your wood thickness is limited to thin stuff. These sizes usually will not cut 1/4 inch balsa or hardwoods except at slow speeds where they can set the wood on fire.

Was a trophy shop about five blocks from here and I used it for free after five PM for three years. I would take the remainder ends from sheets and cut up a few parts at a time. Then go home and assemble or cuss out the parts. The owner was using an Epilogue and wanted me to clean it out after each run, as it smelled up the place after I was done.

We have two places near here that are using dress cutting, or flat bed knife cutters. You lay your wood on the base, and an Xacto knife then cuts out the parts, much as the original plotter did. Except it goes at 5 inches per second. To cut plywood, you just run the knife along the line 3-4 times as you would do at home otherwise, except it is accurate. They are NEW, in the range of a small laser and will handle huge sheets when set to a leather cutting pressure. They can be driven via the dressmaker's software or use a CAD driver.

Best part they are legal for sensitive city environmental laws.

Wm.
Old 08-20-2004, 06:14 PM
idealer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went by the place today and they have a nice 35watt laser large one.

What should I expect to pay for fees? If I bring the wood.
Old 08-20-2004, 07:30 PM
CoosBayLumber
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Place I went to charged zero. Thus would not have slightest estimate. They thought it cool just to see the thing do something else. It did not use much power nor wear very much, so thought zero was OK.

35 watts will get you through 1/16th birch plywood running at full power on slow speeds. It out to handle balsa to about 3/16 inch. It won't be fast at full power and the speed necessary, but saves you a trip to other side of town too.

Just do a few parts at first, assemble the sub-structure, then cut more. Adjsut sizes if necessary too.

Wm.