Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

magnets?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2004, 05:04 PM
p-47 razorback pilot
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default magnets?

wheres a good cheap place to buy lots of small square magnets for use on my metal build table to hold parts 90degrees? ill need alot of them
Old 08-20-2004, 05:24 PM
flying wires
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: magnets?

I have a link saved at work that sells magnets. You can buy in bulk. The magnets are close to one inch square. Also I will include a site of a person that covers using the magnets thru out the airplane build....and provides a pdf file for making jigs that he uses w/ the magnets. I was very impressed, I'm seriously thinking of using them when I start my 1/3 scale Fokker DR-1. I will respond Monday for you with the links.

Brian
Old 08-20-2004, 08:04 PM
LordSirOb

This is the link to end all links.

http://www.airfieldmodels.com/inform...oard/index.htm
Old 08-23-2004, 04:37 PM
CafeenMan

ORIGINAL: LordSirOb

This is the link to end all links.

http://www.airfieldmodels.com/inform...oard/index.htm
Mr. LordSirOb, you beat me to it. Thanks.

I get my magnets from the Magnet Source. Buy them by the hundred. I have about 200 magnets, but I use them mostly without the metal plates. But the darn things keep breaking. I glue them back together with CA but I don't trust them to be square after that.

Personally, I think if you use the magnets by themselves, you'll need about 200 for general purposes. The fixtures I use need 4 magnets each, so if you have 20 fixtures you'll need 80 more magnets. In other words, if you really want to set yourself up with a good system, buy 300 magnets.

- Paul