Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

Scratch Building Grumman G-22 Gulfhawk-need advice

Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Scratch Building Grumman G-22 Gulfhawk-need advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2002, 02:40 PM
threewheeler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scratch Building Grumman G-22 Gulfhawk-need advice

I am building a Grumman Gulfhawk II from RCM plans (vintage 1966). This is a 54" biplane dating to 1936. What I'm looking for is how to set the thrust line using an OS FS70II 4-stroke (side-thrust & down thrust). The plan lists it by degrees right & down for an old MERCO 61. Next is the landing gear. I've given up on trying to duplicate retracts (similar to the GRumman F4f Wildcat)so I'm going with a Fixed gear. Any advice for setting an outward cant for ground tracking stability? The frames uncovered (intend to use Ultracote) weigh abount 6 lbs with engine & wheels. Thanks for any advice. Threewheeler
Old 10-01-2002, 12:24 PM
Avaiojet-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grumman G22

Three,

Believe it or not the thrust for that model isn't that critical. You could eyeball it. I believe 12" at 1/8 spacing is one degree you could use a stick. I may be wrong.

I've built the old Pilot kit of that model. I still have one NIB and one that I'm currently framing up.

I've also designed and drew plans for a 1/5 one that I will be building one day. I utilized the wings of the Phantom II, top and bottom, they work almost perfectly in cord width and airfoil shape. (Saves time plus it's a proven wing design.) Balsa USA sold me the ribs and sticks only. A wing kit. Wasn't that great a deal. For a few dollars more I could have purchased the whole kit. Well, not really, I did order double the amount of ribs. :-)

Yes, this model will have retracts. I need to get 1/4" aluminum laser cut and I'm working on other areas of the gear. Building it isn't that difficult. Getting it to work is the hard part.

That is my second most favorite airplane. I love the "International Orange" color!

I also have the plans you are working from.

Let me know how you progress. OK? OK!
Attached Images