Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

Definition of short kit *UPDATE*

Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Definition of short kit *UPDATE*

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2004, 01:36 AM
Love1/4Scale
My Feedback: (26)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Definition of short kit *UPDATE*

OK guys, help me out here. I thought I had a pretty good definition of what a short kit should be comprised of until I received my first one last week from a popular online laser cutter (I wont mention names until it is discussed further with said cutter). In particular, it is a Valliancourt Hawker Hurricane for a customer.

After reviewing plans and checking parts, Ive noticed several "cut-out" parts are not included in this particular short kit. Now, I can understand some, like the 1/32" ply fairings for instance, but Im talking about parts such as the main 1/8" ply wing saddles that attach to the crutch to start the fuse construction and some other (minor) ply parts. The email response I got was something to the effect of "Oh, the original customer that had that kit cut didnt include those parts in the drawings. I can cut them for you if you send a copy of the plans and about $25.00."

For the price that was paid for this kit, I would think that it would be a little more complete than it is. Ive sent a second email to the cutter and am awaiting a response, but meanwhile....Am I outta line here? Should those parts be included or should I just bite the bullet and either pay the extra or cut them myself?

Thanks
Old 08-25-2004, 02:17 AM
SoCal GliderGuider

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Definition of short kit

All parts that need to be precision cut should be in a short kit. You provide the sticks, sheeting, adhesives and various hardware.

I would never knowingly offer a short kit that does not have ALL OF THE PARTS in it. Even if I was taking advantage of prior customers work (something I also have a bit of a problem with IF the prior customers were not told first).
Old 08-25-2004, 05:04 AM
CAPtain232
My Feedback: (40)

A short kit SHOULD have everything but the sheeting and sticks....landing gear and hardware optional
Old 08-26-2004, 10:14 AM
Love1/4Scale

Thanks guys....youve confirmed my definition of a short kit. Now, Im still waiting to see how much of a stand up guy he is. Ive started construction of the Hurricane with the tailfeathers and have encountered other problems with this cut as well. Missing fin/stab ribs, fin/stab ribs mis-numbered. No big deal to cut new from balsa, but thats not really the point. Being this is my first build from a laser cutter I didnt really know what to expect. I hope they arent all like this.

BTW Captain, can your resume get any more impressive? LOL I can imagine you are on Cloud9 with your new dream job.
Old 08-26-2004, 02:57 PM
CafeenMan

I agree with what is being said here. But, the person who cut the kit may have charged the additional amount for those parts had they been on the plan and known they were necessary. I've never purchased a short kit, but my understanding is that it should include any parts that need to be cut out (not counting shaped parts from blocks). I think they should also include non-standard items that can't be bought off the shelf as well, such as cowls and canopies.
Old 08-26-2004, 07:50 PM
CAPtain232
My Feedback: (40)

Hey Brent.....

I must say that I am having a ball with some of the things I am getting into!!!! That Gevers GENESIS is really an awsome idea and I couldn't be happier about being such a major part of the entire project.

Thanks
Old 09-01-2004, 04:56 PM
Love1/4Scale

Turns out Jesse at Laser Lizard is a stand up guy afterall. Apparently he misunderstood my first email and thought that I was asking for additional parts. After a better explanation, he realized there were some parts missing from his files. He took the time to work through the problem and the additional parts are being cut as I write this (at no additional cost to me). Hats off to Jesse Wilkins!!!
Old 09-06-2004, 11:26 AM
phread59

Simple mistake, I am glad you got it squared away. I have heard nothing but good things about Jesse. Good luck with the Hurri.

Mark Shuman