Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

The "P38 2000" is reborn!

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2004, 11:13 PM
Mike James

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The "P38 2000" is reborn!

Hi everybody,

You may remember about a year ago, that a young (17-year old!) "AKMac" posted some intriguing CAD images of a twin-engined, twin boom design, something like a modernized P-38. With Mac Johnson's permission, we've now taken over the development of this exciting design, and are planning to release kits in 2005.

We've retained Mac's overall look, while making changes to improve performance. (See image attached) Specs are not frozen yet, but we expect it to be in the 90-inch wingspan class, and suitable for engines such as the RCS 1.40. For more information, see http://www.nextcraft.com/j49_twinboom01.html It wil be capable of high-speed flight, but we intend to use reasonable airfoils, in conjuction with flaps, to give it good low-speed handling qualities as well. It is designed to use retractable tricycle landing gear. This should be fun!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94315.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	170367  
Old 09-08-2004, 05:48 PM
Dago Red
My Feedback: (11)

Default RE: The "P38 2000" is reborn!

looks kinda like the pond racer in a way.
Old 09-08-2004, 06:38 PM
Mike James

Yep,

The planform we started with, from Mac Johnson, was basically a P-38, when viewed from the top, but with a glider-esque fuselage. I'm kind of surprised no one has done something like this before. (that we know of) Anyway, we like Mac's idea of the "shark fin" tail, and most of the changes we made were aerodynamic ones, to reduce drag, increase the wing area, and center the mass as much as possible. We also reduced the cross-section of the nacelles, once we enlarged the overall scale.

We expect it to be a good performing airplane, are refining the CAD design now, and will probably begin plug construction in the next 90 days or so. As work progresses, we'll show the updates at http://www.nextcraft.com/j49_twinboom01.html , and occasionally post updates here, as well. Dimensions aren't "frozen" yet, but at this time, it's sized for RCS 1.40 engines or something of similar size, and is designed for retracts and flaps.

Stay tuned!
Old 09-08-2004, 07:21 PM
Dago Red
My Feedback: (11)

kinda reminds me of a design i did a while back, the Knard, in a sense.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95921.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	171450   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn41101.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	15.8 KB
ID:	171451