Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

fiberglassing an open bay wing

Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

fiberglassing an open bay wing

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2004, 05:02 PM
FlyerBry
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fiberglassing an open bay wing

I am considering scratch building my next plane from plans. The plane is designed with an unsheeted, open-bay wing structure and I am considering fiberglassing the entire plane to make it more resistant to hangar rash and to have the ability to paint on my desired scheme instead of using the more common heat shrink covering approach. My question is should I build the wing structure per the plans and simply sheet the entire wing before fiberglassing, or it it acceptable to leave out some of the secondary spars (not the main) in order to save some weight since the fiberglass skin should add considerable strength on its own. How do you experienced fiberglassers out there traditionally handle this? Also, when sheeting the wing, what thickness of sheeting do you normally use?

Thanks!
Old 09-11-2004, 08:37 PM
SoCal GliderGuider

Default RE: fiberglassing an open bay wing

Sheet it. Hard 1/32" would work. Or "regular" 1/16". You could also lay up fiberglass on waxed plate glass then use the resultant sheets to sheet the wing. Press it between two sheets of glass.
Old 09-11-2004, 10:27 PM
FlyerBry

Sheeting between two sheets of glass is a new one to me. You say lay up the layers between waxed plate... What kind of wax? Something like auto wax? How hard is it to transfer the sheets to the wing? Do you do the transfer before the epoxy resin has hardened completely so the sheet is able to bend to the curvature of the wing? This process sounds intriguing but I'd really like a little more detail before jumping in and trying it on a real wing. How about more detail!
Old 09-12-2004, 11:37 AM
the-plumber

Fiberglass sheeting is quite flexible presuming you use .6 oz. glass cloth; the thicker fabrics tend to get a bit stiff.

Let the glass cure completely and bond it to the wing the same way you'd bond skins to foam.
Old 09-12-2004, 05:27 PM
FlyerBry

Thanks Fred, I'll have to give that a try.

That leaves me with one more question... If I use this method to get the wing to the point that it is fully sheeted would the proper next step be to lay up another layer of fiberglass over the entire wing so the wood leading edge and any other exposed wood gets covered as well? Or is it possible to simply cover the leading edge during the previous step with the fiberglass that had been laid up on the plate glass?

Am I correct to assume an automotive type wax would work best to keep the fiberglass from sticking to the plate glass?

Thanks for all your help guys, these are some great tips!!!

Bryan
Old 09-13-2004, 01:37 AM
SoCal GliderGuider

Carnuba would work. You may find some release wax where you buy the fiberglass and epoxy. Use West Systems epoxy.

Yes you would have to glass the LE. Or use a carbon or glass fiber tube of the correct diameter as the LE.