Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

Grumman Skyrocket XF5F -1 & XF50

Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Grumman Skyrocket XF5F -1 & XF50

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2002, 04:37 PM
BentBalsa
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grumman Skyrocket XF5F -1 & XF50

Looking for plans for the Grumman Skyrocket XF5F -1 & XF50 in the 84" wing span will consider something (about 62" ) to blow up to this size. Also will consider having a short kit or long kit cut laser or hand. What have you got out there fellows.
Thanks for the help in advance
JR
Old 01-20-2002, 01:08 AM
CoosBayLumber
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default May be some help

I presume you are in search for a Grumman F5F Skyrocket. I did the parts for laser cutting back about 98 from a set of plans. Was about 65 inch span, and 40 inch over all length. I can't remember exactly as I do not have the plans anymore, but I think it was for twin .25 to .35 glow engines. With such a small span it ought to be rather fast using the larger engines. I do remember the plans had numerous errors as to thickness and position. Everything had to re-drawn to smooth it all out for cutting purposes and best fit. There is plans for another one out there, of the 80 to 90 inch size, but no parts that I know of yet.

Make an inquiery through www.bhplans.com

Wm.
Old 01-20-2002, 02:21 AM
BentBalsa
My Feedback: (9)

Default Grumman Skyrocket XF5F-1 & XF50

You are correct they were all small engined .35.
There were several made W.A. Oetzell, Fred Coulson, Nick Ziroli from abut 56 to 68"
Having plans would be a first step do you know where the 80 - 90 ones were from .
In the mean time I give Bob a ring, Thanks Again
Do you do any cutting of parts any longer

JR
Old 01-21-2002, 05:23 PM
CoosBayLumber
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default BH Plans

You're testing my memory now. However, BHPlans marketed a large size version of the F5F plans, and a report on a model appeared in M.A.N. during 1998. Bob had more of a demand for the 65 inch span version which was also available. There is a goodly amount of plywood parts required in each version. He sold several semi-kits of the smaller in 1998-1999, but repeat requests are few now. I do mainly the Autocad drawings for all the parts now, have not run a total in past few months, but exceeded 5000 parts drawn back about September. Completed parts for Brian Taylor designed Harvard, Razorback P-47 and Vultee BT-13 since then. I do plans and parts for other firms also.

Bob Davis is the kit builder for discovering errors (such as if the specified hardware fits the hole) and he photographs and records the building proceedure for possible publications. Ricky Holman does the flying and wringing out with a crash or two for testing "ease of repair" as he is better than the three of us combined. He oft' times comes up with a line change order so that maybe a different servo or motor can be used. Davis is into electric and gliders, Ricky is into glow and ignition.

The senior citizen was quite pleased as the boxes of new semi-kits emptied themselves from sales as the Pasadena show went on. He does the laser cutting, internet and telephone orders. We conferr or meet 2-4 times per week. Through inquieries, I refuted the design and drafting proceedures for a couple of his customers using Autocad in their designs. A couple of these guys get a lot of ink in the publications and had been doing plans for years. I explained where things were going wrong with their proceedures and their emphasis on wrong features. I know of three designers/distributors who dropped their business with larger laser cutting firms, and have since trimmed their costs per kit by using our methods.

Ask Bob about parts/plans for the larger Skyrocket. He has been looking for a few persons to take ahold of certain models and develop an interest and make a full kit from with all the specialized parts for them. He doesn't want to market full kits, but instead prefers to supply the cut wood parts.

Wm
Old 04-02-2011, 01:04 PM
fred985

Default RE: Grumman Skyrocket XF5F -1 & XF50

cleveland model plans has them,,,i believe they have them up to the size you want.