Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Picture files in AutoCad??

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2004, 10:45 PM
divad_strebor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Picture files in AutoCad??

Is there any way to load background images in autocad 2000; ie, 3-views? rather than print out the drawings and scale them up using a ruler and lots of calculations, I think it would be a lot easier to "trace" the basic outlines, scale to the size i'm after, then add structure. Just a thought. It would save on a lot of printer paper in some cases.

I use a program for creating aircraft in FMS (Flying Model Simulator) called Metasequoia which allows this function.
Old 09-22-2004, 12:42 AM
SoCal GliderGuider

Default RE: Picture files in AutoCad??

Top menu; Insert/Raster Image; then choose the type of file. The default is to all raster formats so narrowing it down helps. You should know a couple of distances on the image file such as the thickness of several types of materials or a rectangle so you can scale the image to the correct size. You may also have to rotate it a bit to get true horizontal lines. Much easier when using the "ortho" lock.

When you have everything all outlined you will still have to go back through and justify everything.

With three views it's not so bad.
Old 09-22-2004, 01:57 AM
divad_strebor

thanks heaps socal! these forums are worth their weight in gold. Thats exactly what i was after.

I was thinking that if I used a 1mm gridsnap for the straight lines everything should come out pretty clean and accurate.

- Dave
Old 09-22-2004, 05:06 AM
divad_strebor

I like it! This is my first couple of hours mucking around with it. 1/3 scale Tigermoth. The first pic is with the 3-view showing, the second with it hidden. I've moved the wings off their origional position to bring them closer to the rest of the drawing.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91730.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	175804   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj27867.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	175805  
Old 09-22-2004, 09:39 AM
mulligan

Congrats, SoCal- you've just given birth to another scratch designer!

Good luck, Dave.
Old 09-23-2004, 12:05 AM
SoCal GliderGuider

Dave, Think you've got it. Use zero line widths when using poly lines. I use ortho rather than a grid as a fine grid can mess up the regens. On the poly lines use the arc and second point feature then back to a line when required.

Guess you could use a section of a fine grid if you keep moving it under where you are working. I also use a center line on ribs and stringers as a model seldom has the same with for these structures.
Old 09-26-2004, 01:16 AM
Balsa Master

no grids, use polar and auto snap!
on ribs i use pset to out line it then use arcs and trim to make the outside comes out very accurate if u use ehough points (more points around sharp curves)

now... do it in 3D

btw, exactly how much does this forum weigh?

oh... and the absolute BEST part about that... you can scale the image and dont have to scale each individual measurment!!!!!!!