Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

1/3 Tigermoth wing bracing?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2004, 07:27 PM
divad_strebor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1/3 Tigermoth wing bracing?

i'm after a bit of help in designing my 1/3 scale tigermoth. I've been having a little bit of trouble working out how to brace the wings.

They will be relying fully on the bracing wires and struts for strength so I wanna get it right from the beginning.

Below is a little sketch I drew up in paint of how I think it should be done, and I have a few questions about it:

1. Would 4-40 steel clevis's on the wires be strong enough? keeping in mind this is a 3 metre wingspan model and there will be a total of 2 wires holding each pair of wings down during flight..

2. I don't want to use bolts to hold the struts for a number of reasons:
a) They can vibrate loose (I've seen it happen on a 40 size sports biplane with disastrous results)
b) They wear out when you're forever undoing and doing them up.
c) They take too long.
d) They are easy to lose.
I need a method that will be quick and easy to assemble, and strong enough to handle both pushing and pulling loads.

3. Is my way of attaching the bracket good enough, or is there a better way? I've never built a biplane before, so all of this is new territory for me.

Any help on the topic would be greatly appreciated. Now my fiance is buggin me to get off the computer and pack it up cos were moving tomorrow, so I won't be able to check this for a couple of days.

- Dave
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11452.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	176590   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je99255.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	176591