Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Newbie questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2004, 03:18 PM
ekau20

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie questions

Hi all,
I have a few questions regrading building,sorry if they sound stupid to the pro's here

1. i found a lot of plans in the thread in the top of the forum,i know how to open a dwg or a dxf file. but how do i get them printed to the proper size?

2. once i have them, what is a typical building sequence?, it seems to me that it would Be best to transfer them somehow to the material and then cut, how do i do that? (if that's the way).

3.how do you get a curved fuselage,do you plank it and then fill and sand?

4.can i paint a fuselage rather then cover it?,any pros or cons in painting vs covering?

i guess that it's for now but surly i'll have more questions,so TIA
Eran
Old 09-27-2004, 03:36 PM
Ebola0001

Default RE: Newbie questions

1. in the dxf viewer program there should be a print to scale option in printing

2. depends on the piece you can use carbon paper and trace them onto the wood, or sometimes i cut out the paper "prototype" and just trace it with a ballpoint pen, but it is alittle inaccurate for some things.

3. a curved fuse is done with varying the shape of the ribs it is made of, thin sheeting will bend to the shape that they make.

4. yes you can paint them, but painting is more for fiberglass i think, as it is heavier than the shrunk coverings and has to be onto a solid surface, whereas the shrunk ones can span across gaps
Old 09-27-2004, 07:04 PM
patternwannabee
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Newbie questions

1. to print plans 100% scale, there are a few options. Some cad programs will allow you to print the image on several sheets of paper with registration marks to allow you to align and tape them together (a lot of taping going on). You can also go to a reprographics or printing shop and have them print the plan full size for you (some can cost quite a lot). Your software/printer may allow you to print "Banner" style. That is continuous sheets, but the maximum width on a standard printer is < 8.5".

2. After you get the full size plan printed out, attach the plan directly to the wood using a spray adhesive. apply the adhesive sparingly, so you can peel it off when done. Then you can cut and sand your pieces very accurately. Some also have tried the iron on method where they lay the plan print side down onto the wood directly and iron the image onto the wood. Others have used a solvent instead of an iron to transfer the image (not sure what they use, though).