Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Type of Lite Ply

Old 09-28-2004, 02:14 PM
jkinosh

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Type of Lite Ply

I am finally getting around to starting my first build from plans that I was originally going to start Last winter, and was wondering what the difference is between AAA Model Grade Lite-Ply and Aircraft Grade Birch Ply. Other that the Aircraft grade cost about twice as much.

I am going to be building a Bingo! from the RCCM plans.

Thanks for the help,

Jacob
Old 10-01-2004, 07:55 PM
CoosBayLumber

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Type of Lite Ply

The main difference between Birch plywood and Lite plywood is the weight and strength. The Birch plywood is from a bit more costly materials and thus is more expensive.

Quite often the A/C designer will use what is handy, being lite-ply or regular birch ply, then to specify a whole bunch of different materials. This often has little to do with required strength of the model or joint.

Wm.
Old 10-04-2004, 07:47 AM
jkinosh

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks for the help, I knew this was the right place to ask about it.

Jacob
Old 10-04-2004, 07:09 PM
phread59

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Birch has more ply's to it than lite ply. The woods are also different. Basicly lite ply is between balsa and birch (or aircraft grade if you will ) in weight and strength. Lite ply is used where balsa is not strong enough, buy you don't need Birch. Lite ply also can be formed somewhat. It is also easier to sand and cut. Just use what the plans call for and all will be well. BTW you will love that Bingo. I have one and it is a very sweet flying plane.

Mark Shuman
Old 10-05-2004, 07:43 AM
jkinosh

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks for the help, but right now, the plans to build it might be put on hold, since the wife is giving me a hard time about spending the money to Join AMA and the local club. I didn't renew my memberships this past year, because we were doing a lot of work on our house, and I was doing a majority of the work on my own. But now she is giving me a hard time about joining the groups again, since they seem to cost so much, at least to her. AMA -- $58.00 RC Club -- $75.00 I keep telling her that really if you think about it, that is not really that bad, since if you have an accident with your plane and someone gets hurt, you homeowners insurance will most likely not want to cover much of it, but the AMA will help with covering it, and the RC Club is Helps to provide a safe place to fly, and does all of the flight training at no additional charges.

I love this hobby, and hope I can convince here of the same. Any suggestions as to how I can do this would be great, but right now it seems like I am fighting a 1 sided battle with a brick wall, and the brick wall is winning.

Thanks,

Jacob
Old 10-08-2004, 07:52 PM
khodges

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Lite ply (1/8 inch) is 3 plies thick, the outer 2 plies are parallel with each other, and the inner ply is perpendicular to them. I am assuming the aircraft grade ply is the same as "hobby grade ply". If so, it has more plies (5) than lite ply, is much stronger and less flexible, and is generally made of birch, which has a fairly even and tight grain, and finishes well.

I've only seen lite ply in one thickness, 1/8 (my calipers actually measured 7/64), but I guess it might come in other thicknesses, Aircraft grade is available in many thicknesses, 1/64 is the thinnest, and 3 plies, and I've seen 3/8 (5 plies). If you need anything thicker, cabinet grade ply is the same, available in 1/4, 3/8, 1/2, and 3/4. There is an imported ply that has a yellower color than birch, and it is 7 ply at 1/2 and 3/4 inch but is really the metric equivalent and slightly smaller.

Anyway, for absolute strength, use the aircraft grade in the appropriate thickness. More plies gives greater strength, more stability(less warpage). The thin stuff is great for sheeting wings, More puncture resistant than balsa. I cut 1 in. squares of 1/64 ply, 1/8 and 3/32 balsa and weighed them on a digital powder (reloading) scale. The 1/64 ply and 3/32 balsa weigh the same per square inch (within 5 grains)
Old 10-08-2004, 09:44 PM
Tall Paul

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Lite ply in various woods is available at the local Home Depot type lumber yard.
Door skins.
Cheaper and a bit sturdier than the poplar stuff SIG and Midwest sells, and in 4'x8' sheets.
Good for fuselage sides, landing gear mount plates, etc.. but not for formers which might hold motors or wing dowels.
The aircraft spruce ply is best used for real load areas.
Old 10-09-2004, 10:37 AM
SoCal GliderGuider

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: jkinosh

Thanks for the help, but right now, the plans to build it might be put on hold, since the wife is giving me a hard time about spending the money to Join AMA and the local club. I didn't renew my memberships this past year, because we were doing a lot of work on our house, and I was doing a majority of the work on my own. But now she is giving me a hard time about joining the groups again, since they seem to cost so much, at least to her. AMA -- $58.00 RC Club -- $75.00 I keep telling her that really if you think about it, that is not really that bad, since if you have an accident with your plane and someone gets hurt, you homeowners insurance will most likely not want to cover much of it, but the AMA will help with covering it, and the RC Club is Helps to provide a safe place to fly, and does all of the flight training at no additional charges.

I love this hobby, and hope I can convince here of the same. Any suggestions as to how I can do this would be great, but right now it seems like I am fighting a 1 sided battle with a brick wall, and the brick wall is winning.

Thanks,

Jacob
Your wife may have a point. Your home owners has to be depleted before the AMA will start to cover any accident you have modeling. In some cases you may have to sue the AMA to make them pay. However most accidents, cut fingers and car dents, will most likely never exceed your home owners.

As your local club is providing you with such great resources their price is better than the $20 per hour I would charge you for training.!
Old 10-21-2004, 02:33 PM
tucker1865

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Jacob...Remind your wife how much you saved on the work you did around the house, have her call the home depot and ask for installation charges. As for the plywood, lite ply is usually poplar and aircraft grade is birch. Poplar weighs 28 lbs per cubic foot and Birch weighs 43 to 46 lbs per cubic foot and the mahogany/luan door skins you are referring to is slightly heavier than lite/poplar ply but is stronger. Great Planes use's mahogany ply in some of their kits (PT-40) for formers. The one drawback to door skins is they are not a smooth as lite ply, mahogany being more open grained than poplar but the weight per cubic is in the 30 lb range. All this is assuming 12% moisture content of all species. I just weigh it on a cheap postal scale in grams when im building. Dave p.s. I believe that the aircraft ply has Spruce layers inside the birch, such as birch - spruce - birch - spruce - birch.
Old 10-21-2004, 02:41 PM
jkinosh

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Any suggestions as to where I can find the door skins?

I found some 1/8" cabinet end caps that are 3 layers, but they seemed to all have a pretty nasty curve to the, they kind of make a smile.

Jacob
Old 04-11-2010, 03:08 PM
skaliwag

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Appears to be a world shortage of 3/32 Lite (3) ply.. Plenty of places have it listed but no do have. Who knows of any definite sources.
Old 04-11-2010, 04:43 PM
CoosBayLumber

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I used to get my 3/32 ply from Aircraft Spruce of Corona. But they brought in some rule now that says no importing in to Calif. of any wood(s) treated with certain chemicals.

About Christmas time, we got a whole bunch of plywood via Two Harbors, Minn. and looks as through it will all be gone by end of year then.

Wm.
Old 04-11-2010, 04:58 PM
skaliwag

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Aircraft Spruces' product is not LITE PLY (3). It has 5 plies and is expensive because it says "Aircraft"
I'm looking for 3 ply because it is light, cheap and takes half the time to laser cut.

Two Harbors, Minn, must be Bud Nosen.. His site is under construction at this time... Will give them a Bell in the morning.
Old 04-11-2010, 06:32 PM
limeybob

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

try "Sloans Woodshop" for 3ply birch plywood #107.
bob
Old 04-11-2010, 07:14 PM
skaliwag

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

#107 is 1/8"... I need 3/32"

Search this Thread