Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Best brand for CA glue

Old 09-28-2004, 05:34 PM
jorgeelizondom
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best brand for CA glue

Hi,

I'm about to start building a 5m vintage sailplane.

What is the best CA glue around in terms of:
a) strength, and
b) resistance to deterioration while on the bottle

Thanks for your opinion.
Old 09-30-2004, 02:19 PM
Ross Airforce

Default RE: Best brand for CA glue

To me, they are all about the same. I store mine in the refrigerator till opened. I use smaller bottles so that they get used up quickly. The thin stuff deteriorates the quickest after opening. If the bottle has been around a while, discard it.
Old 09-30-2004, 03:06 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I'm with Ross with respect to freezer storage of new material and the use of smaller bottles. I tend to buy the 1/2 oz size for that reason. I find that in a coolish dark basement workshop the thin type lasts about 10 months to a year before it slows down it's cure to a significant degree. Thickening occurs a month or two later and it's very reluctent to cure at that time.

But once cured I don't find they have a problem with deterioration regardless of when you used them.

I found that cutting the thin capillary tubing on a long angle so the end looks like a medical needle seems to help prevent the ends of the tube from being contaminated by dust from the wood.
Old 09-30-2004, 04:59 PM
the-plumber

See the tech tip "CA Working Life" on my web site.
Old 10-04-2004, 07:24 PM
phread59

I agree 100% with the above. My Ca is in the freezer. It will stay there almost indefinately if not opened. As to my favorite flavour. I will only use 2 brands. Bob Smith makes an excellent product. But I still say Zap products are the best. I have used thier glues and epoxies and had nothing but great luck and results with them.

Mark Shuman
Old 10-06-2004, 07:38 AM
narpets

Hate to be so agreeable, but I agree 100% w/ phread59.... I've had no real problems w/ other brands ( well except for the Great Pains varities) but Zap seems to be a notch better, and at the same price, it's hard not to choose it. Bob Smith ( store brand) is my 2nd choice, Jet third, most others 4th, and if my only choice is Great Pains/Hobbico, I don't buy.
Old 10-06-2004, 03:08 PM
dennis
My Feedback: (90)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

http://www.modelresearchlabs.com/

Go to this link and buy their CA. This is the real deal. Not a highly cut version like most of the bob Smith or Zap stuff. If anyone here remembers the old Satellite city CA from Bob Hunter then you know what pure CA can do. Word of warning if your CA sensitive then thiss stuff will get you as it really smokes when it kicks. Strongest stuff for the money that you will ever get.