Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

DC-3 RIB CUTTING

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2004, 09:30 AM
wadford1
My Feedback: (66)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DC-3 RIB CUTTING

CAN ANYONE TELL ME HOW TO CUT RIBS FOR A DC-3. I HAVE A TEMPLATE FOR THE FIRST RIB AND THE LAST RIB. IS THERE AN EASY WAY TO DO THIS? ALSO FOR CUTTING THE SPAR SLOTS.
Old 10-12-2004, 12:05 PM
SoCal GliderGuider

Default RE: DC-3 RIB CUTTING

Full sheeted and/or cap stripped wing: Cut rectangles of the desired balsa thickness (I like 3/32" ) of the number of ribs you need and stack these up. Glue a copy of the tip and root ribs to each end of the stack and cut and sand down to the outlines. The spar notch is tricky. I've used a Zona saw and cut each end of the slot before taking the rib stack apart then finished the lenght wise cut with a sharp X-Acto blade. If you have a band saw you might be able to hog out the notches. Just don't go too deep.
Old 10-12-2004, 12:07 PM
SoCal GliderGuider

P.S. Try to use the shift key. All caps is considered SHOUTING on computer forums.
Old 10-13-2004, 04:56 AM
wadford1
My Feedback: (66)

THANK YOU. I APPRECIATE THE HELP.