Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

TurboCAD Learning Edition - Please Help

Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

TurboCAD Learning Edition - Please Help

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2004, 11:46 PM
crash_expert
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TurboCAD Learning Edition - Please Help

Good Day to all,

I have been using TurboCAD Learning Edition for the last 4 months, I have built 2 airplanes from it and I am proud to say that they fly. The one thing that I am a little perplexed over is resizing or scaling up or down keeping everything porpotional. The way I am doing it now is I take measurements with the measuring tool and it displays the measurement on the screen, I then select all and click on a corner until I get the measurement I am after by looking at the previous measurement on the screen that changes as I move the corner.

I was wondering if there is some way to go in and tell the program that you want to scale this up 25% of it's original or scale it down. How does this work? What am I missing here?
Old 10-17-2004, 12:43 AM
SoCal GliderGuider

Default RE: TurboCAD Learning Edition - Please Help

Acad scale command works with text imput. Also by referencing point on the drawing. Though T-Cad was like Acad.
Old 10-17-2004, 01:41 AM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

You're close. If you know the wingspan of the present version or some other key dimension and want to blow it up or reduce it then call up the Windows calculator and do the math to figure out the required scaling factor. Select the whole drawing and then TAB to highlight the Xscale box. Enter the factor and TAB to the Yscale box and enter the same number. Hit enter and your drawing selection is scaled by that factor. These two scale factor boxes are typically in the lower left corner of the drawing. If you don't see them you may have to hunt around in the tool bar options to call up the information toolbar.
Old 10-17-2004, 07:12 AM
DICKEYBIRD

What Bruce said but one thing to remember when scaling model size up & down by wing area, use the square root of the desired scaling factor. For example: you want a double sized Super-Duper Funky Flyer .40. You don't enter a scale factor of 2 into the X and Y boxes; you enter the square root of 2 which is 1.4142. Works the other way too. You want a .10 sized S.D.F.F. at say, 1/2 the wing area? Don't enter .5 into the scale boxes, enter .7071

I think T/CAD L.E. has the surface area measuring tool as well which is a powerful tool when designing models. It REALLY helps when trying to compute the area of rounded, odd-shaped flying surfaces. L.E. is a lot of bang for the buck!
Old 10-17-2004, 11:44 AM
crash_expert
My Feedback: (4)

"WOW" Thank you guys, This makes it that much easier. I did as you said and now I can scale up and down and still keep the proportions the same.

Thank you