Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

wantin to build a second plane scratch

Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

wantin to build a second plane scratch

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2004, 08:39 PM
nitrobasher
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wantin to build a second plane scratch

Well kinda, after im done with this ill already have my four star so itll kinda be my 3rd, but would like it to be easier to fly. I already know that I would like it to be a low wing, and a tail dragger. Ill probably use a TT .46 in it.

What i need to know is what i should go from. should i just make it up as i go? I dont really want copied designs, I would like this to be completly mine. mayb some tips from you guys lol.

Also I noticed on the front of the wing the balsa is bent into a 180' angle. How do they do that?

Iv tried putin some scrap balsa into water for about 20 seconds then bending it but it snaps before it gets to 90'

thanx
Old 11-16-2004, 12:29 AM
Mike James

Default RE: wantin to build a second plane scratch

Bending balsa...

Opinions vary as to whether to use water, ammonia, etc., but I've found is that a little patience matters more than the liquid. (I use plain water.) Try gently wiping both sides of the balsa with a cloth dampened with your liquid of choice, and gradually bending it, just a little at a time. You can even tape it around a "jig" of some sort, such as a wooden dowel, or a metal pipe, or whatever. Just go slow, and before long, you will, as the man said, be able to "sheet a golfball".

Design...

Most of us who scratch build started by modifying an existing design first. This saves money, and, if you're starting with a good-flying plane, allows you a better chance of success. If you've flown the existing plane before you modify it, then you'll have a better feel for what your modifications have done to help or hurt the performance.

Don't copy other poeple's designs. What's the point? But...
It's useful to collect as many books, photos, movies, technical documents, plans, etc., as possible, so that you can start to absorb all the variables, and make the process more intuitive. If you're new to airplane design, and just to do it randomly, "to be different", you stand a higher chance of failure. Be creative, and be different, but don't waste your time trying to re-invent the wheel, when there's so much known data around that can help you.

Most of all, have fun! And then come back here and post some photos, along with your flying results, so we can all enjoy it. Even if you don't get it right the first few times, you'll be learning, so start NOW.

Happy flying.
Old 11-16-2004, 01:43 AM
David Cutler

Also I noticed on the front of the wing the balsa is bent into a 180' angle. How do they do that?
I'm Fascinated!

What do you mean by it being bent 180 degree angle on the front of the wing? That would mean it is folded right back on itself. If that's the case, just lay two sheets against each other!

Have I missed something here?

[sm=drowning.gif]

-David C.
Old 11-16-2004, 08:40 AM
nitrobasher
My Feedback: (2)

um i meant that its rounded off, and i think you knew that to [&:] ...

thanx for all the help mike it really helped me out. Im pretty much looking off of a four star, its gunna be the same design but longer, and bigger wingspan.