Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

How to work with Plan^

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2004, 04:46 PM
capbat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to work with Plan^

Anyone can suggest a good book(s) on how to read, make, scale and work in generals with plans?. Including some works on CAD.
Thanks

Bat
Old 11-20-2004, 11:15 PM
dicknadine

Default RE: How to work with Plan^

collect and read all of the model aircraft publications< Model Airplane news, Model Aviation, Radio Control Models, etc. also join a local flying club and pick the flyers brains. then start building, do not be afraid of making mistakes-- we all have done it more than once. its a game of Experience -- do it over and over again. dick
Old 11-21-2004, 01:26 AM
the-plumber

Dave Platt's "Scratch This" video series is worth having.
Old 11-22-2004, 02:54 PM
dr_wogz
My Feedback: (3)

Enrolling in the local community colledge to learn 'drafting' and 'AutoCAD'

Drafting to learn the concepts of engineering drawings; how tro draw object, how to portray elements of the object, how to clearly define various elements of the object. Why to use dashed line, thick lines, and thin lines? How to dimension properly, what is a 'datum line', wher and how to add notes, and what is a 'title block', among otyher topics. Also, buy a student's 'drafing & techincal drawing' book.

Acad, because Acad is probably the oldest, and most used CAD program out there.
Learnign Acad will not make you a drafter (although many beleive it will). Acad is a glorified pen and paper. If you do know how to draft, Acad will not create wonderful fabricatuion dwgs. It'll only draw lines as you tell it to. (Although I have seen many many take an Acad course (like engineering students), and then 'think' they can draft. Not so. And this is from some major univercities!!)

All CAD programs aer similar in function. that is, most of the concepts to drawing are teh same.. Line, circle, copy, array, extrude, etc.. are all typical commands, as well as layers, and line types. Copy, Array, Blocks (Xrefs) stretch etc.. are all commands to manipulate the data (lines, circles, etc..)

3D drawing.. wait till you are profitient in 2D CAD drawing!!

You can learn all this on your own, but you won't have a resource to indicate if you're right or wrong.

Sorry, but too many times have I been asked to 'help' someone draw a part, and/or draw teh part in Acad. And too many times has it gone w-a-a-y over their heads.

Puis, assui, vous en Quebec, Mois aussi. Vous etres assi proche du Montreal (Lachine) que tu pourrais m'appelez, et je pourrais te faires des courses! En les deux: comment lisez des plans, comment les desingnee, puis comment utilise Autocad.
Old 11-22-2004, 03:28 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

As wogz suggests drawing good plans is an artform with rules. If you're not willing to do the night school course then check out the local libraray for books on draughting practices. They will also have some books on basic CAD.

You need to realize right at the outset that CAD is only a computerized way to replace the pencils and rulers and boards of the more traditional methods. You still need to know how to lay out the drawing well.

Check out the sticky thread about free plans for download and get 'em all. Study those for some ideas on layout and views and level of detailing. Model magazines are also excellent sources of model plan examples. A few issues will show you layouts that are close to perfect and if you strive to draw your plans to the same level of detail and format for layout you'll do well.

Other than perhaps that Dave Platt book there's nothing out there for draughting model plans to the best of my knowledge. We all had to learn using the basic course principles and examples of previous plans as layed out above.
Old 11-23-2004, 11:12 AM
SoCal GliderGuider

There is one thing that is good about Acad; everyone's printing looks the same. Even has a spelling checker!
Old 11-23-2004, 03:36 PM
cltom

dr_wogz -

AutoCAD is definitely not the oldest, but it is the most used - there's no denying that.

You are absolutely correct on the rest. Too many people think that they can be spoon fed training in CAD, and then produce industry quality drawings. NOT!

In my career I've seen all sorts. If someone was a lousy draftsman, and then received CAD training, they were still a lousy draftsman.

I am even disappointed in the published CAD plans in model magazines so far. They pale in comparison to a typical DeMarco ink and Leroy lettered masterpiece. It's as if they took the whole concept of line weights and threw it out the window. There also appears to be no attempt to stylize the lettering, either. More often than not, it's standard AutoCAD general fonts, which is a horrible substitute for Leroy. These things are bragged about, too - jsut because they're CAD!

I'm not an old fogey trying to extoll the good ol days, either - I love CAD. But it doesn't replace talent. There's no excuse with the tools an AutoCAD or MicroStation (my favorite) give you.
Old 11-23-2004, 10:19 PM
dicknadine

forgot to add that this NOT a model airplane question Only, it is in everything we do and want to do-- how did we learn to drive a car, work on the car. even I had to learn how to change baby diapers the Correct way. its try and tryagain. dick
Old 11-26-2004, 11:46 AM
capbat

Thanks for the reply <Neighbor>. I have already started Acad 2000 with the S/W and a book <Acad 2000 the Bible>
But like you say I would probably need drafting courses. Do you know of any given north of Montreal?

Ing.
Old 11-26-2004, 01:56 PM
dr_wogz
My Feedback: (3)

There might be something in Laval, as I doubt you'll find a 'techinical community college' in / around St. Sauver / Morin Heights / St. Jerome that offers CAD courses.

Ecole Superirieur Technique In Montreal will definitly have what you're after. Dawson did as well, and I beleive still does give courses. Rosemount techincal also gives CAD courses. Your best bet is to look up teh schools in teh areas, and see what they offer. you might find something in Boisbriant or Mirabel as well.. But I beleive you will be making a trip to MTL...
Old 11-26-2004, 01:59 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Check with the local school board and community colleges for night classes. They often have something. And then there's the books in the library as I suggested. But in the end drawing a model airplane isn't quite the same as drawing a widget bracket. I still recomend you study LOTS of model plans from other folks both on the net and from the magazines (espcially the magazines as they are often more complete) and pattern your efforts from those.

Cltom, I sure hear ya about the lack of style in the new CAD efforts. Many of the model plans of old have a character that can't be duplicated. For example you can recognize a Malmstrom drawing at a glance (terrible style BTW) as well as a Mooney peanut scale plan. And then there's the frameable quality of an old Cleveland Models plan. Functional art by anyone's standards.